I have an idea for a sled and need your opinion
I have been wanting to make a sled for a long time for the TS.

However, I wanted it to do several things like cut 90's 45's and several others and have clamping, T tracks, and stops so I can do any project.

I did build one that had runners in it and it the runout come out finally to .00112 but it will only do a few things I wanted and I figure I would have to make several sleds to do everything.

So here is my idea

Make a sled that rides over the fence which will keep it square and ride smoothly.

I would have to make something to fit over the fence and then attach the sled to it and this will always make it square to the blade. The only trouble I see is not being able to cut long boards.

This is the TS the VA bought me in 2009 http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3HP-2...nife/G0690 I am showing you this incase you have to know what I am using.

I hope you guys understand how I am describing it so you can give feed back on it.

Thanks
Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
When I used sleds in the past I just made fixtures to fit the sled for the purpose required.

It worked just fine.

Using the fence as a guide is to me awkward, it has to be set up exactly in the same place each time and limits long cuts.

I would use what you have and make different back fences set up on registration pins to swap as needed

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Joe

What is a registration pin?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Just what it implies; in your case two pins set in a position on the fence that can register the original fence to bring it back to it's original position on the sled and can also register any other fence you deem necessary for cutting different angles or adding new speciality fences

Drill two holes under the sled into the fence and install the pins in the fence then you can use screws to hold the fence in place until you need a different fence. When you deem a new fence necessary you remove the OEM fence, use screws as clamps to register the new fence configuration on the sled then drill two holes into that fence using the registration holes and install two new pins in the new fence . Then that fence can be swapped on and off the sled and it will cut exactly the same each time you install it. you can do it with as many fences as you decide necessary, or when a new cut comes up

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Arlin there are likely a lot of schools of thought out there based on what people have had success with. I like a different sled for each function. If I do that function with regularity I will make a "permanent" sled. I usually have a 90* and a 45* sled. If I need one for 33* or another off angle I will make a sled for that, but usually will make it a very basic sled, might keep it, might not. I think that depends on storage space.

This guys sled is a do it all Maybe that would work for you?

Basic no frills sled

Example of a permanent sled These you would take the time to really make them right.

Video showing how to make them exact. Starts talking about it, but the video goes through step by step instruction. You can apply this to a basic sled, or a permanent one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbG-n--LFgQ
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
One problem I see is most folks set the fence to have clearance at the back end of the blade, so the fence is not parallel to the blade. I guess you could compensate with the sled fence, Seems like a lot of trouble.
Joe

I think I am understanding what you mean and will note it. I am thinking it will be easy to swap the sled correct?

Steve

I have that guy's Youtube downloaded on my computer and that is how I got this sled to .0012 however, it had taken me 3 times to do it and a lot of watching and doing.

I also did an excel spread sheet to put the numbers in and out pops the info either - or + #'s or move in or out.

I like the sled but find it limiting and like you I will need several of them when doing segmented turning in the future.

Arlin

If the turnings are smaller, no need to make big sleds. Operation wise they work the same.

You mentioned longer miters. If you make the V more substantial you can put DeStako clamps on it to hold the work piece.

Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Arlin,

I think as soon as you build a sled that will do it all, you will find something that you didn't include.

I have a basic sled that I took the time to make it dead on square. Everything else I rig up as needed.
There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
I have been having an idea and SceneryMaker confirmed what I was thinking.

I will show you Tomorrow the thought with a Pic to do most of it with. I will also have other features that can be put on or taken off as needed.

Do you guys thing T Track on the bed of the sled is a good idea?

Arlin