Columbian Vise find - Any info
Picked up this vise at an garage / estate sale. Any info on it? Best way of cleaning? Do I need to take everything apart. Do I need to cut off the cotter pin?

On a side note. They also had a copy of a emmert vise. I actually got really excited when I first saw it, thinking it was the real deal, then saw the made in taiwan sticker. They were asking $75. Is that a good price?
Well, you suck, for one. nice vise.

I like vinegar soaks for rust. Some prefer Evaporust. If you use vinegar, you'll need to rinse thoroughly and then treat it immediately to prevent rust.

If you just want to put it to use, cleaning up the rods and screw (and nut), then cleaning off the jaw faces enough to fasten on whatever liner you're planning to use will get you started. Rust in places where it won't touch wood isn't necessarily a problem, although, if you're close to the ocean down there in Southern Californee, getting rid of the rust and painting it would be a good idea.

Note that "close" is a relative concept. We're ten miles from the coast up here north of San Francisco, but there are several intervening ranges of hills between us and salt water, so we don't get a lot of salt air, even when the fog comes in. If you're in the LA basin, ten miles may still qualify as "close." But you probably know how much you have to deal with ocean-induced rust already.

Disassemle as much as you can. Cotter pins are not a big deal: your local hardware store or auto parts store will have replacements.
I have the same vise -

Jaws on mine aren't square, but I fitted the wooden jaws to fix that. I thought the handle was pretty cool, but my shop is small and I often get snagged by the fixed handles when I squeeze past it. Mine was pretty clean when I got it so I just lagged it to the bench and started using it.

Phil
Not only does that vise look good and very easy to use, but just the history behind that vise and everything it did would be so neat to know.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
jussi said:

On a side note. They also had a copy of a emmert vise. I actually got really excited when I first saw it, thinking it was the real deal, then saw the made in taiwan sticker. They were asking $75. Is that a good price?

If it was in good working condition, I'd have paid $75 for an emmeret clone in a heartbeat.
"The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me." -Tony Konovaloff
"Have nothing in your house which you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris
kompera said:

[blockquote]jussi said:

If it was in good working condition, I'd have paid $75 for an emmeret clone in a heartbeat.

[/blockquote]

I would a also.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

When the clones first appeared, they about $175 to $200. Now they're $300!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I remember $199. It would be a steal at that price. If I remember, it was the smaller Emmett they were modeled after.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Thanks for the tip. I have used vinegar on smaller parts before but not on larger. I do have to do a light sanding after I rinse of the water because a light dusting of rust develops pretty quickly. Would spraying it with boeshield after being rinsed, air drying with compressor, and spraying again with boeshield work?