Band saw tires
I havea grizzly 17 inch band saw that is used only for resawing so it hasn't been used more than 8hours. The tire is in good shape, and I release the tension most of the time. I do get busy and forget sometimes.

Well the tire came off the bottom wheel and I put it back on and it came right off again. So my question is what glue is used to glue tires back on? I am not interested in new high dollar tires.

Thanks,

Tom
Had same issue with my 17" Griz b/s yellow tires. They fell apart after 5 years, very little use. Could not find urethane 17" at the time. Replaced with Griz grey ones. Looks like Griz has urethane ones now. Have never used glue on any bandsaw tires
Grizzly T23071 - Urethane Bandsaw Tire for 17" (Pair $22.50 )
Thank you for your reply. My tires are black, but could be gray given the lighting I had when looking at them.

I will consider the above mentioned Urethane tires if I don't get some positive responces about the Glue.

I need a new saw blade also and there is not enough money for both. But the tire has to come first, the saw is worthless if the tire keeps comming off. I can't use it the way it is.

Thanks again.

Tom
Buy new tires. Grizzly ships their saws by ship. They are packed in containers and the sun beats down on then during the trip. The heat causes the tires to lose their tension and they will fail quickly.

Try contacting Grizzly. Depending on the warrentee date Grizzly may replace them at no cost.

Grizzly recommends not gluing the tires on. It makes replacement difficult.
Howie.........
Howard Acheson said:

Grizzly recommends not gluing the tires on. It makes replacement difficult.

This
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Quote:

Grizzly recommends not gluing the tires on. It makes replacement difficult

Sure Grizzly wont recomend it, they are in the business of selling.. And at my age replacing the tires is not one of my concerns.

All kiding aside, I asked about glueing and the answer I am getting back is replace not glue. So I have desided to follow the advise I asked for and replace. Thanks one and all for the responces.

Tom
Tom

If I was going to glue it I would do it is 4 or 5 places. My lower belt needs one since a blade jumped the wheel and chewed it up awhile back.

Also when you do replace it use a c clamp to hold one part in place so it will not slip they you can concentrate on the putting the rest on easier.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I had one come off on my Rockwell BS....It had stretched and wasn't tight on the wheel...I split the rubber on a steep angle, trimmed about 1/4" off one end, wrapped it around the wheel {butt the ends tight together} after applying the glue, and put a band clamp around it to hold it tight against the wheel...That was five years ago...Still holding..

Cutting the rubber on a steep angle prevents the "bump" that butted ends can cause..I also do that when making leather stropping belts, except that I also skive the leather to expose more of the leather's surface to the glue.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

$22.50 is a great price for new rubbers.

Glueing them on is a royal pain. Been a long time since I did one. It was on an old Silver 20" bandsaw.

Skates Belting in Kansas City used to sell the glue for rubber wheels.
Not sure what it was, but it sure was a sticky dam mess.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Stwood_ said:

Glueing them on is a royal pain. Been a long time since I did one. It was on an old Silver 20" bandsaw.

That first sentence is not in the least bit accurate. It doesn't take more than maybe an hour at most to install and glue on rubber tires. It takes about that long, maybe a little more, the next night to crown them, but a grand total of a couple hours over a couple nights is all that's needed to install rubber tires that will last for many years. I had a post up here a couple years ago, now expired, that showed how to do it relatively quickly and cleanly on a 16" saw IIRC. Contact cement from Woodworker's Tool Works costs a few bucks, and may be tossed in free if you buy the "pricey" quality tires they sell.

Sorry, mini-rant over, noting that rubber tires seem to get an unnecessary bad rap all too often.

EDIT: Link to WWTW rubber cement, for the answer to Tom's original question.

http://store.woodworkerstoolworks.com/ru...-4-oz-jar/
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow