Moving Filetster
Went up to Louisville to check out some hand tools in this Craig's List add
http://louisville.craigslist.org/tls/5193107028.html

I picked up the filetster in the second pic. BTW, there was a nice #7 that could be had for cheap.
When I got home, I took apart the plane for a clean up and noticed that when I took out the nicker, there were thin strips of paper between the nicker side edges and the wood. When I replace the nicker, do I need to place strips of paper in there also?

BTW, I was trying to figure out how to remove the nicker and noticed a small raised edge across the nicker at the midway point. A screw driver placed along that edge and a small tap of a hammer, and out it popped. Glad I figured that out before I mangled it up.
Looks like there are a lot of nice tools there. That Wilton Bullet vise looks like a beast.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
I would have gone broke there. That power hacksaw would have come home with me for sure.

A previous owner used the paper as a shim to adjust the position of the nicker so that it exactly matched up with the edge of the iron. Whether or not you replace it depends on how picky you are (and how much the wood swelled or shrank since it was inserted).
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
I would have left that sale hoping my focus's suspension would make it back home. How were the prices?
Scoony said:

When I replace the nicker, do I need to place strips of paper in there also?

Yup, otherwise the nicker will sink too low.. Another option is to use thin stips of blue painter's tape to shim the dovetailed slot.
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

The prices were good, however, a lot of the planes had hangholes or other issues. The #7 was in good shape and he was asking $40. There was also 2 #48s that were missing blades, but I probably should have picked them up anyways. The coworked that I am pushing down the slope went along (he drove) so it was like a field trip showing him what to look for and what to avoid. We were hoping for a nice 60 1/2 for him, and there were lots of block planes (probably one that we should have taken home) but not a 60 1/2.

I bought a really nice BR606 from this guy a few years ago. It was super crispy (as in nice) except for a hang hole. Its currently my shooting board plane.