hand plane recommendation
The best type of plane for what you've shown is a low angle block plane. The low angle block excels at trimming end grain. If your drawer sides are proud of the drawer front, then you'll want a bench plane with a cutting angle of around 45 deg. A block plane has the blade bevel up. A classic bench plane (e.g. a Stanley No. 4) has the blade bedded bevel down.

For a block plane, I recommend the Lie-Nielsen No. 60-1/2. It's an adjustable mouth block plane, currently selling at $165. If you want a slightly smaller and less expensive Lie-Nielsen block plane, the LN No. 102 is $115. You give up the adjustable mouth on the 102. Lee Valley has similar (and also excellent) adjustable mouth Veritas Low Angle block at $155, or the Apron Plane at $89. Lee Valley currently is offering free shipping thru Aug 31.

If you anticipate needing a bench plane, a No. 4 is the best choice. Lie-Nielsen sells their No. 4 for $350. A Lee Valley Veritas No. 4 runs $219.

Alternatively, we have members of this forum who rehab vintage Stanley planes and they often sell them on Swap-N-Sell, for considerably less than a new plane. You could post a WTB on S-n-S and see what's available.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Tablesawtom has a nice Miller Falls #9 which is the same size as a Bailey #4 for $83 including shipping at the link below. He does a fantastic job at rehabbing them. The plane is the last one on the listing.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...amp;sb=5&o=

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Taking down the drawer front is difficult. I would shim the dt from the bottom and fit again until the pins are a little proud. Then I would clamp the drawer (without bottom) in a vise and shave down the pins and side using a LN 62. That is how I have done it in the past. The joint comes out looking great. I think that is how the old timers got their drawer dovetails looking so tight.

Good luck.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I agree with Jim. The low angle jack plane (the LN 62 or the Lee Valley equivalent) is my favorite tool for this job. It's large enough to exert some pressure when needed and the length helps when you need to plane the sides of the drawer along with knocking down the ends of the pins. Planing the pins flush mushrooms the fibers of the pin ends and fills tiny gaps between the pins and the tails, improving the appearance of the joint.

Rather than clamping the drawer in your vise, consider this handy, simple jig for holding it while you plane:

It's probably not his design idea, but I should credit Craig Vandal Stevens who is the craftsman operating the plane in the pictures.
First off, have you built the XXX that will use the drawer? If so, then the most important part is fitting the drawer front to the frame. If that front fits the hole now and you plane it, then it will have gap-osis. If this is just a practice drawer or you are going to build the XXX to fit the drawer then most any sharp plane with a low angle blade for end grain will work. I have a Lee Valley low angle blade bevel up jack plane and I would use that for the trim held at ~30 degree angle to reduce the angle of attack even more.
Cheers ...

Lyn Disbrow: Born in America ... a long long time ago

Any one of these block planes will do fine..I personally prefer the Stanley #65 low angle Knuckle Cap on the left in the pic.....

http://virginiatoolworks.com/2012/06/27/...ck-planes/
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset