Tool ID help
Need some help identifying this tool . I need to replace the handle and not sure what it is.
It is about a 12" long head like a grubbing hoe shape but much thinner and also has teeth on part of it like pipe wrench jaws.
The tool isn't very thick, where the teeth are it is no more than 3/8" thick and about 3/4" wide there. it also has steel in the handle. haven't taken it apart yet to see what is going on there.
Any help would be great

Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
It's an old ice axe for mountaineering.
Jim

The broken off end would have a steel point in it.
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Looks like an ice axe to me as well. Used for mountaineering.

You probably should do some internet research first, before doing
anything to it. Even as an antique I bet it is worth something....
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Cool thanks Guys
I did a little research an saw some had stamps on them so I sanded some rust off and found two stamps one said ORIGINAL ASCHENBENNER GESCH the other stamp inside an ellipse said WERK FULPMES.
The owner is the same lady that has the Thomas Sheraton chair I repaired. she said it was her grandfathers tool. She thought it was a gardening tool.
I am going to see If she can find the other end of it with the spike
Thanks again
Don's woodshop
Woodshop said:

She thought it was a gardening tool.

Well, I suppose if you use it in the garden...
I just spoke to her on the phone and she wants me to put a long handle on it to use it as a hoe. I said sell it and buy 10 hoes, she said she can't it was her grandfathers
Customer is always right
Don's woodshop
10 hoes............
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I'm an old climber & that is defiantly a very old school alpine ice axe - the wooden handle was probably about 3' long + - w/steel spike on the end. If it was complete & in ok shape, it might have some value (not to much though) a climber or antique tool collector as wall art.
So was her granddad a climber? Might be some interesting stories there.
She remembers seeing a picture and hearing stories about her grandfather getting ice in the winter from the river in West Virginia.
but that was about it , no mountaineers

I found this Ebay listing and it is exactly the one it was.

Ebay listing of axe linky
Don's woodshop