cost of hot tub
LOML wants a hot tub. Seeing as how we live in a place with horrible winters, I am somewhat concerned with the electrical cost. I imagine we will only want to use it for a couple of months a year anyway, but the subject keeps coming up. I'm not really concerned with the cost of the tub itself, but the people I know with tubs usually complained about them. And a friend says the heat is quite expensive. Any thoughts? Anyone think they are worth it?
Ours didn't seem to cost that much, but it was a fair amount of work. In fact, I don't remember our electric changing much when we bought it, or when we turned it off. But with the weekly checking of PH and chemicals balances, and then adjusting that stuff to whatever was needed, I probably spent an hour or 2 just keeping that stuff squared away..... and that stuff can be expensive. Ours was in a breezeway, so it didn't get the direct winter blast...but it was still quite cold out there. That said, ours also didn't get used very much...maybe once a month when it was busy...that's probably why I thought the maintenance was a PITA. I wound up giving it away. Then, when we moved; the numbnutz PO of this house also had a hot tub, but it was built into a small room in the basement....he put the hot tub in, and then finished the walls around it. I had to cut it up to get it out.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The energy cost depends on how you heat the water gas, electricity or possibly solar as an assist. I think when you consider a tub you need to remember it will have to have power supplied and depending on the home it might require a larger service panel. If I were going to install I would probably use nat, gas to heat it as gas is cheaper here. Depending on code where you are you will need to run your power to a switch within reach of the tub similar to having a shut off next to a furnace.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Here's my 2 cents worth:

I've only owned 1 hot tub and only because it came with our house. Up front costs besides the hot tub are going to be the electrical installation. I can't speak for every hot tub but I would guess that most use 220 volts for the pump, lights and heater. Other costs will be for chemicals to maintain the pH and and chlorine levels. I didn't find that it was that hard or time consuming to test the water and adjust as necessary once per week.

Hot tubs are heavily insulated. The covers are about 4 or 5 inches thick and help to keep the heat in. I can't tell you how much hot tub operation cost. My sense is that it didn't cost all that much.

It's been 7 years since we had a hot tub. Undoubtedly, there have been many improvements that will make operation cheaper and maintenance easier.

You may end up using the tub during the coldest times of the year but we used ours even when it was hot outside (we lived in W Des Moines at the time).

Would I ever buy a hot tub? Probably not, but there are times I wish I had one especially after a physically or mentally demanding day. They are relaxing. And, it's a good way to spend some time with your family talking and relaxing. If you've got the bucks, make your wife happy and get her one.
Last I checked, it was about $30/month about 8 years ago in California. Not too cold, but we have some of the most expensive electricity in the lower 48. I now don't care since I went solar on the house.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Having had one, my view on hot tubs is the same as what they say about boats. Your two happiest days with one are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

I don't think ours really cost a lot to operate, but as others pointed out, it was a PITA to maintain for the amount we used it. Ours was outside and the worst part was keeping the d@mn mice out of it. There was no way to seal the cabinet well enough to keep them out and besides making a horrible smelly mess, they would chew the wiring which even cost us a $250 repair bill one time. Paid about four grand for it new and eight years later, I was thrilled to get $800 for it.
A retirement dedicated to fine woodworking and bad golf.
No mice here. I'll have to add that the hot tub is one of our best "luxury" purchases. Nice way to decompress at the end of the day.

The wife and I use the time to do long range planning and just talk about stuff. No internet, no phone, no TV. Just relax.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
As others said, PITA in water maintenance. Cost to run is about $20 a month. You will be buying a new $400 cover ever 4-5 years if your hot tub is in full sun.
We have a large tub for showers or bathing. It is nice for both of us to sit in, relax, watch tv, and talk.

If I had a hot tub, I would put it inside.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
The house we bought 1 year ago, came with a hot tub, in the insulated, but unheated lanai. In SW FL and don't need heat in winter.
The heater didn't work when we got it, and I bought a new element for about $30 and all is well. I figure it costs about $30/month, with chemicals. We keep the temp at the lowest setting, until about 1 hour before using. An hour before using, set temp to 102 degrees, and test with a strip, and add a small amount of chemical. Sometimes just add chemicals it usually needs the same amount.
When we go in the tub, we turn the temp back down . It stays at 101 - 102 for the 45 minutes or so while we are in the tub.
Don't use it in the summer, and drain it. Looking forward to getting it back up and running.
Would I spend 2-3k for a new one? No, but, would take a free one (lots for free, if you remove, around here)
Ours had a breaker box/disconnect on the wall. But it didn't have a GFCI breaker. I replaced the panel with a GFCI one from HD for about $50. Don't think code required one when the tub was installed, but I wasn't getting in it without one! Water, electricity. Uh...no !
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer