Tinting
I have some wood turnings that are of a very bland wood.I use a CA finish on a lot of my projects and had a thought (I know we are in trouble).Can you tint CA and if you can,what would you use.I have dye's I use when casting,maybe?
Well shama lamma ding dong to you too......
Ok,guess nobody knows.looks like I'm on my own to try it.
I don't finish turnings with CA and would not care to mix it with anything. But could you color the finished turning with NGR dye and then apply CA? Or switch to a shellac finish. You can tint that with Trans-Tint. My issue with colored finishes is that variation in thickness shows as variation in color intensity.

Hope this helps

Doug
I was thinking more on the lines a pen finish so not much is needed.
Oh, I should have thought of that. I have never turned a pen, but I wouldn't recommend shellac for a pen finish. I'll bet an acrylic (eg Polycrylic) would be durable enough for a pen. You can buy acrylic paints in a wide variety of colors in an art store and use them to tint polycrylic.

Again, I have never tried this on a pen, but I have used polycrylic on turnings, and I have tinted it with acrylic pain for furniture toning. Still, this would be an experiment.
Back to the laboratory to experiment....bwwwahahaha