paint
Good morning all!

For a bathroom with painted trim, what is the best interior primer, before two top (finish) coats of paint.

Thanks,

T.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Tony,

Expect a variety of answers to your question. I would use the recommended primer from the manufacturer of the top coat you buy. That said, I'd go with Ben Moore Advance or SW pro classic. As I mentioned in your other thread, Advance is cheaper for me so that's what I use. I've used both and I really can't tell any discernible difference. They are both waterborne as well. Ben Moore will have an undercoater they recommend for it. That's what I'd do.

It's also worth mentioning that you could use BIN or even Kilz but they will both stink up the house. They also spray much better then applied by brush or roller. I'm at the point now where there's really no need to spray anything solvent based in an occupied residence when it comes to interior paint. It's worth the extra money, for me, to pay for the waterborne paints. One of the most important things to consider when aiming for a smooth, professional finish coat, is how well the undercoater will sand. Do not use Kilz latex primer--it sands terribly. It might be fine for a basement wall (maybe) but nothing that will be finish sanded. It's just too soft. That's where getting a professional product will really shine when going with a waterborne undercoater. It will cost you more but it's worth it.

I had poor results using Kilz latex-as you said, very soft and could not sand it!

Thanks for your posts.

T.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
If this is the trim like baseboard/casing and such, I wonder about any contamination, especially on the base board. Floor cleaners and waxes could be a problem with adhesion (I would think). Using shellac based BIN would really help with that problem, and if you feel a need to sand it it sands easily.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.