Ridged planer blades and home depot
Stopped by hd today, and found that they are discontinuing the blades for the ridged planer. On line only going forward. I spoke with the manager and he assured me he is fighting the decision.

For the current model? That stinks. I still have my tp1300 but I don't use it much cause knives are pricey and not readily available anymore. Been a good planer thouh.
Yes the3 blade model. The guy I the tool sections if they no longer carry the planer in the store. Really sours me on Ridgid tools

Honest question.

If they still have them offered on line......why not stock up on the discontinued ones to save a few bucks, then just order them online?

There is TONS of stuff I just order online now, regularly, that I use to drive to the store to get.

For me, it saves time, and money in some cases.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I bought the last set they had. I try to keep 2 sets on hand, but I have had one time I needed a set and had to drive to the next closest HD, about 50 miles one way, in the middle if a project because the local store was out of stock. I am frustrated because Zridgid cut an exclusive deal with HD and now HD is cutting the level of service

I have the Ryobi AP1301 planner that they stopped carrying blades in the store by the time I bought the planner. The sad thing is online for the planner they still have the planner listed and in the questions they had one asking where the blades could be bought. HD help said there're no longer available. However, I had to correct them and let them know they are still carrying the blades online.
Is there something unique about these blades ? Are there no other compatible knifes available anywhere ?

I've found in every case when I needed "discontinued" or "un-available" knife sets, there has been something that will work just fine. You may not be find an exact duplicate but I find it hard to believe that these machines can't be re-fit with something.
goaliedad said:

I bought the last set they had. I try to keep 2 sets on hand, but I have had one time I needed a set and had to drive to the next closest HD, about 50 miles one way, in the middle if a project because the local store was out of stock. I am frustrated because Zridgid cut an exclusive deal with HD and now HD is cutting the level of service

LetterK said:

I have the Ryobi AP1301 planner that they stopped carrying blades in the store by the time I bought the planner. The sad thing is online for the planner they still have the planner listed and in the questions they had one asking where the blades could be bought. HD help said there're no longer available. However, I had to correct them and let them know they are still carrying the blades online.

I had the AP1300 years ago (good lunch box BTW) and had the same issue where they stopped carrying the blades in store. As soon as the AP1301 came out, the blades were hard to find. I bought up 4 sets online.

Frankly, if your going through blades so often, Id either buy multiple sets online (like I did) or sell it and move on (I did to a stationary planer, really because of need)

Your lucky the ridgid blades are still easily obtained via HD online....get them now, I speak from experience.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Packerguy- the next major equipment investment will be to a stationary planer, but that will no be real soon unless I pick the winning lottery numbers. I will order 2 or 3 sets at at time and deal with it.

My search this morning at HD online shows these blades are already discontinued.
Larry B in Terrell, TX