Main Breaker Frozen
This weekend I was in the process of re-doing some wiring in our house and wanted to switch out a 15A breaker for a 20A. Went to switch off the main breaker and it was frozen in place. What I mean is, the normal amount of force you'd use to shut the thing off wasn't moving it. I had turned it off within the last year or so with no issue, but am now concerned about forcing it. Could this be a humidity thing? Does the box need replacement? Any thoughts are appreciated.
This is a Square D box, QO.
While anything is possible, it's probably just that you need to push harder. That's a big breaker, with an offset (and small, relatively speaking) handle, with a big spring inside, so it will take a lot to get it over center.

Even if the breaker is bad, you shouldn't need a new panel, though a new panel with main breaker may actually be cheaper to buy than just the breaker, and the QO series is about the most expensive of the snap-in type panels.

By the way, you are upsizing the conductors to the 15A breaker before swapping in a 20A, aren't you? If they aren't already 12 gauge copper, for the entire circuit, of course.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Thanks TDKPE! I'll give it a harder push. I don't know why but I always think I'm going to get blasted off my ladder when switching off the main. Its never happened of course, but still have some hesitation when moving that switch.
Yep, 14ga conductors upsized to 12ga. Thanks again, and for all your assistance over the years with electrical questions in this forum. Your willingness to share your expertise is really appreciated!
try to not be standing on metal ladder.
there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
JackW said:

Thanks TDKPE! I'll give it a harder push. I don't know why but I always think I'm going to get blasted off my ladder when switching off the main.

Use a piece of 2X4 then. If it arcs, you won't get zapped.

Also, the top of the main breaker should not be higher than 6'6" off the ground. If it is, it was improperly installed to begin with.
Yup, push harder......

The QO main in my house is like that, takes a lot to shut it off, the shop, not so much.

Ed