Anyone work with Narra or Indonesian Mahogany?
I have a person who claims he had this wood shipped from Papua New Guinea (South Pacific) when he worked there as a missionary. I have no reason to doubt him.
The Narra he called rosewood and the other he called Toona?

I do not these are really mahogany or Rosewood but still they look intriguing.

I can get the mahogany for $5 a bd ft and the rosewood for $8 or $9. I have yet to figure out if he has wide boards available.

They seem to work well and I am wondering if anyone has experience with these woods and if the price seems fair. I use hand tools and these seem to plan up rather nicely.

Thanks
Mark
sawnuts said:

I have a person who claims he had this wood shipped from Papua New Guinea (South Pacific) when he worked there as a missionary. I have no reason to doubt him.
The Narra he called rosewood and the other he called Toona?

I do not these are really mahogany or Rosewood but still they look intriguing.

I can get the mahogany for $5 a bd ft and the rosewood for $8 or $9. I have yet to figure out if he has wide boards available.

They seem to work well and I am wondering if anyone has experience with these woods and if the price seems fair. I use hand tools and these seem to plan up rather nicely.

Thanks
Mark

Narra is the lumber / tree that amboyna burl comes from. the scientific name for narra is Pterocarpus indicus so it is not a true rosewood which would be in the Dalbergia family. a related wood was Padouk.
an internet search tells me that toona is in the mahogany family.
cheers
pat
Pat,
So the question remains. Have you used it and is the cost reasonable?

I know the cost thing is tough to nail down. I have done my own research and I am pretty sure I know what I have and you nailed it. I do not see it for sale anywhere in board form only small pieces for turning and such.
sorry Mark, I misunderstood your post when I read it. I thought you were also looking for info on the woods. No I can't comment on the price. I've used Padouk and Mahogany which are siblings to these and they are of course excellent to work with but you knew that.
good luck
Pat

Mark:

I have only turned one tool handle from Narra - it turned quite nicely IIRC, and the finished product was well received by a fellow that has used a lot of Narra.

Krenov was a Narra fan; there are certainly different tones of it - the browner seems nicer. As you probably know, Krenov finished virtually everything with hand tools - it has a nice look to it for sure.

Give it a go I say!

Dave B