cutting board repair
I am making some cutting boards and there are some small inperfections in the wood such as small splits etc. I think I have read somewhere that they can be filled in with epoxy prior to putting whatever I will use to finish them. Is that correct? and if not what do I use. Thanks
it might be difficult to get a highly viscous material, like epoxy, to do anything more than a superficial fill of the crack, if they are very narrow. You might think about using some medium or thick CA glue to fill depending on crack size.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Got any pictures of what you are dealing with?

Easier to offer suggestions if we can see the problem. Epoxy or CA might be good solutions, just depends on "things"
I used some CA last night and it worked great.Thanks
Here is some info on cutting board surface treatment that may be helpful. A film finish is not a good solution as every time you cut or pound on the board you open a pathway to the wood underneath. Juices will get under the finish and lift the finish.

An excellent treatment for wooden food preparation surfaces like cutting boards and butcher blocks is a mixture of mineral oil and either paraffin or beeswax. This is what is used on many commercial wood surfaces. It will last longer and be more protective than just mineral oil. Mineral oil can be found in most supermarkets in the pharmacy section or in a true pharmacy. Paraffin is found in the canning section of the store or in a hardware store.

Heat the oil in a double boiler and shave in some wax. The exact proportions are not critical--a 5-6 parts of oil to one part of wax will work fine. Stir the mixture until all the wax is liquefied. Apply the mixture heavily and let it set 10-12 hours or overnight. Next day do it again and continue until the wood will no longer absorb the finish. Let it set for 10-12 hours and then lightly scrape off any excess. Then buff it with a rag.

Reapply whenever the wood begins to look dry.

Never put a wood board in the dishwasher and don't soak it in dishwater for long periods.
Howie.........