vinyl siding - cleaning plant "stuff" off of
It was a plant that should have been stopped at the top of the trellis but due to inattention, it continued its climb up the siding. The small branches were removed as carefully as possible but there's still residue on the siding.

Have tried different cleaners [TSP solution, SIMPLE GREEN, FANTASTIC, etc]. Nothing seems to touch it. One suggestion, not tried yet, was to mix SIMPLE GREEN with bleach.

Thoughts?
I remember a similar situation on Ask This Old House----Roger helped a guy remove a climbing vine that left the little spots all over the siding. I can't remember what they used, though I think they were scraped off.
Dave
A pressure washer will take care of it, if it is indeed vinyl siding. If it's aluminum, you might have more problems.
For tough stains I use Comet on a wet sponge, rinsing before it dries, working from top to bottom. For darker colors, where bleach may be a concern, I swap to Ajax without bleach. For general cleaning I use Simple Green/water and lightly "brush" with a soft push broom. A plastic window planter is my "bucket" of choice. Again, work from top down and rinse before it dries.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I should have added in the OP that the "residue" contains some wood fiber. When I scrape off the fiber with my fingernail, a stain remains.

I haven't tried power-washing; my uneducated guess is that it will have little effect. But I'll give it a shot!
varkpilot said:

I should have added in the OP that the "residue" contains some wood fiber. When I scrape off the fiber with my fingernail, a stain remains.

I haven't tried power-washing; my uneducated guess is that it will have little effect. But I'll give it a shot!

Be careful with power washing too close or with high psi. It will etch the siding causing it to get dirty quicker and make it harder to clean the next time as well as remove the smooth sheen.

Ask me how I know. I noticed it quickly and only ruined a small area.
varkpilot said:

Take some simple green, siding wash, whatever you have. Mix it up strong, take a stiff bristled brush and scrub the area, let it soak, don't let it dry.

Then hit it with the power washer.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Baking soda, water and a sponge. Wet sponge with water and sprinkle the baking soda upon the sponge then wipe away. The alkalinity of the baking soda in its powdered form is a good cleaner that won't scratch or damage the surface of the vinyl siding. Rinse the surface well with fresh water once cleaned.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.