Spraying Benjamin Moore Advance on A-1 Plywood
Hello, So I've made some bookcases that are to be painted white to match the base cabinets they will sit on. They are made of maple veneer A-1 grade hardwood plywood, to ensure a solid non-warped face that will take paint well. I've done some spraying on test pieces, using the Fuji Mini-Mite 4 stage sprayer and BM Advance thinned 8% with water…it sprays nicely but, after primer + 2 coats, I can still make out a bit of the plywood grain. The question is how many coats should this take to completely hide the grain? And would folks finish with a topcoat of a clear poly, like GF sprayable water based poly?
Thanks in advance for all help!
I think you are spraying too thin.
Primer and 2 coats should easily cover the grain ( although I usually put 2 coats of primer)
There is no need to topcoat Advanced with anything, it will get rock hard on its own.
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
I agree with Rusty.
I haven't used advantage but have seen several projects using it. A 3rd coat should fix it just fine. A little heaver coat will do it with two coats. A friend built a huge heavily used bookcase and it has work very well. I don't see any need for any topcoat unless you are worried about chemical resistance—in a bookcase
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Thanks…I suspected as much. Will try to get a bit more paint (and primer, also Advance) down, without causing the dreaded "orange peel"… I may have sprayed too lightly, but I must say the finish looks good…
Thanks again-
Are you flat sanding between coats? You should lightly sand with 320 and then 400 grit between coats. Mount your sand paper on a flat, firm sanding pad and sand lightly and with the grain.
Howie.........
Hi Howard, I actually sanded with 220 very, very lightly with a finish ROS --and that seemed to help. I will take your advice and hand sand with 320 and 400 next time. Thanks for the advice!