Cabinet Hinge Drilling Jig
I'm doing a kitchen cabinet remodel in my house and need to drill out about 24 euro hinges for the various doors. I was looking at the Rockler jig it system and was almost ready to pull the trigger. Then I noticed another jig on the Rockler site (Item #: 30337) for about $130 more (including bits). It looks like more of a professional type jig. My justification for buying is this project only, I don't know how much I would use this jig on future projects. That being said, I also bought a Kreg pocket hole jig for a specific project and use it quite often now that I have it.

Looking for advice on which jig, if any, I should buy to do this many doors. I am open to other options if there is something better I missed. FWIW, I have a drill press/ fence and could do it w/ out a jig but am looking for speed/ accuracy of some sort of a jig.
That's such an easy setup on the drill press, I think that jig would be a waste of money. I usually drill the stiles before I've assembled the doors. Much easier to handle than a whole door.
Bob
BobW said:

That's such an easy setup on the drill press, I think that jig would be a waste of money. I usually drill the stiles before I've assembled the doors. Much easier to handle than a whole door.

Agree. If you have a drill press, use it. I've made a simple jig out of plywood, with a big hole for the hinge cup, and two smaller holes for the screws. Use the DP to drill the door stile for the cup. Align the template with the hole, and hand-drill for the mounting screws. Easy. Mostly foolproof.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Thanks guys. Saved me a bunch of money.
I did about 50 doors a few months ago. It went fast with a fence installed on my drill press. Set the depth... set the fence offset and drill away.

I used the hinges to locate the smaller side holes and drilled them using a vix bit.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I have one of the 35MM drilling jigs - Rockler item 30337 - works great
Willing to part with it as its work here is done - PM sent

Bob
My Friends Call Me Bob... - You can call me Mr. Bob.
Splinter Puller said:

I did about 50 doors a few months ago. It went fast with a fence installed on my drill press. Set the depth... set the fence offset and drill away.

I used the hinges to locate the smaller side holes and drilled them using a vix bit.

+1 What he said.

I set up a stop block so I could bore the hole the same distance from each end of the door. I drill all holes for one end, then reset the block on the other side and drill again.

Actually, I have a Kreg track on top of my fence and I use the flip up stops from their precision measuring system, which I have on the miter saw fence.

To really help, I made a simple jig which has two holes bored equal distance from each end and spaced properly for the hinges. That makes it real easy to duplicate the settings quickly each time holes are needed. The jig is just used to set the fence and the stops, then it is removed and the drilling can commence.

For the screw holes, I use a vix bit and drill with the hinge in place.
Splinter Puller said:

To the OP,
FWIW,
An easy way to line up the hinges to mark the screw holes,after the cup holes are drilled,is to just push a straight edge up to them.

This was a pretty simple jig. I drilled all the stiles before assembling the doors. Just flip up and down the hinged stops.

Yep. Mine was about the same as yours. Used it for several years until I bought a dedicated 35mm hinge machine
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020