Wood question(s)...
I've had a request for a project made with bloodwood. I've used it a little with a couple flat projects, but never on the lathe. Does it turn well?

The projects I've made are only 3-4 years old and have seen very little sunlight. They've held their color pretty well, but I'm curious if it will darken over time the way cherry, or purpleheart does?

I am also looking to add a subtle contrasting wood, and seeing Gecko's amazing boxes, I was considering figured Koa. Anyone have any experience with this? Do you think it will "work" with the bloodwood?

I won't be starting on this for a while yet, but I need to start working on the technical problems while the creative juices flow...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
The bloodwood I have turned , pens,wood irons,bottle stoppers, turn very well and finishes nice
I have turned a lot of bloodwood and the colour has held up. Only problem with it is when used with a light wood as a contrast the sanding dust tends to bleed into the light wood, just have to be careful.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
As I understand, bloodwood is the only red wood that will hold it's color over time. Oil will darken it, as with most woods.

I have turned a fair amount of it. It turns very well. It also works well with hand tools and power tools.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
Turns great!!

If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate it!

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
I use a lot of BW in my segmented stuff because it holds the color so well. In fact I just came from working on a piece wit a fare amount in it. The silica content must be off the charts in this piece of wood because it's killing my tools.

Depending on how much contrast you want you might consider lyptus if you can find some clean looking pieces. Some of it has what almost looks like dirt streaks running through it. If you want real bold just go with maple
Figured koa will have grain that goes everywhich direction (it's figured). Koa has a tendency to tear out or chip, so sharp tools and actions to minimize tearout and/or lots of sanding should be expected.
Thanks, Chuck!