Teknatool's new lathe
Been seeing info on Teknatools new Galaxy DVR-1644
Looks like it's mostly updates in the head-stock, over the Nova DVR-XP.
*)The headstock slides, besides rotates.
*)The controls now include a "knob", it appears to be a two-speed optical encoder it only took a second to go from 500 rpm to 3000.
*)There is a brake on the motor now, which can be turned off so the lathe can still free-wheel, or turned on so the lathe stops quickly.
*)There is a large RED button, that I am figuring is a "STOP NOW" panic button.

I'm certain I'll hear more as time passes, but looks like some good improvements in the design
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
So which ones do you like or dislike?

I do not have one nor plan of getting one but making lathes easier to use if good.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Haven't seen it but I had a 1624-42 and it was a good lathe. I hope they kept up the quality. The sliding headstock will be a nice addition. I'm not sure I understand the need for two speed ranges since it's probably direct drive, unless it's a safety feature or a way to increase torque somehow.
Steve K

Sorry, it's the speed control that has two "speeds", a slow rate change and a fast rate change
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
What is the advantage of a sliding headstock?
badwhiskey said:

What is the advantage of a sliding headstock?

If you remove the headstock, you can slide the headstock down to the end of the lathe and turn bowls or platters in larger diameters. You will still need some kind of outboard tool rest. It's also easier to get access to the interior of bowls and boxes for sanding that way. I personally like the rotating headstock on my current NOVA DVR. It facilitates turning the interior of my bowls a lot easier than having to bend over and reach. The headstock can turn 90 degrees outboard to turn larger diameter pieces, but I've never had to turn anything that big.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Yeah, I rotate mine and use an outboard rig for big bowls. I just didn't see the advantage of having the headstock slide.
If you have the available shop space to keep an area where you can stand at the tail end open, and a strong back to take the tailstock off and put it back on, you can turn off the end rather than the side.

With the long banjo on the 3000/16-24, and a half-swing, you can do the same type of work standing where you normally stand while working (safer) between centers. Don't have to muscle the tailstock, either.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
MichaelMouse said:

With the long banjo on the 3000/16-24, and a half-swing, you can do the same type of work standing where you normally stand while working (safer) between centers. Don't have to muscle the tailstock, either.

How does that work? If you rotate the headstock, it's out of line with the tailstock.
hairy said:

[blockquote]MichaelMouse said:

With the long banjo on the 3000/16-24, and a half-swing, you can do the same type of work standing where you normally stand while working (safer) between centers . Don't have to muscle the tailstock, either.

How does that work? If you rotate the headstock, it's out of line with the tailstock.

[/blockquote]

You are standing in the same place you would be standing for turning between centers, not at the end. Clear? No need to provide shop space off the end, or adjust lighting, either. Those with 16-24 and reverse may, given proper equipment, do the half swing forward and cut at 3:00 CW versus 9:00 CCW, with LOTS of banjo to spare.

Safer to use that tailstock and limit yourself to 16" turnings. Not a lot of market for larger bowls, anyway.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.