Shop Layout
I need some help deciding on the final layout for my shop.
The area for my shop is roughly 26' x 23' with an 8' x 8' office.
After 50 different layouts (not kidding)I initially nailed it down to this layout

But then I thought I could move the dust collector into my office area.
This cleared up a little space, and I came up with another design.

I'm not a production shop, so workflow isn’t the most deciding factor.
I like having the miter saw close to the assembly table.
I would like the dust collector on the north wall as shown, as I have 220V there already.
What do you guys think?
Dan
#2 cuz you have space on both sides of the miter saw.
Lathe has room around it too.
I like my bench grinder close by the lathe for a quick edge.

Ag
Thanks AgGEM

that would probably be best, right now it is up against a wall, every once in a while, i wish it was not.
Dan
Dumb question: why do you need to give up 64SqFt for office space?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Well, the office is already there.
I also really enjoy designing furniture, i want my computer in there.
I can't get anything drawn up in the house with the wife and kid in there.
Dan
There is not substitute for experience. I did the same and over the next two years I moved stuff several times before I was happy. There will always be things you don't anticipate or that you find you did not think of. What ever you decided just keep in flexible because you are very likely to change your mind.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

I like#3, however:

I'd flip the router table and workbench positions so the workbench is closer to the TS.

I'd put the jointer against the North wall (where the lathe is in drawing number 1) and move the Miter saw to where the jointer is in number 3. That way the miter saw will have more space to the left of the blade where you want it and also closer to lumber storage racks.

Also, in number 3, I'd consider putting the bandsaw on the same wall the lathe is against (leave the lathe where it is if not too high). Wood would feed from North to South.

Is the planer fixed or mobile? If mobile I'd probably want it out of the way. Unless you are a production shop I don't think it is a tool seeing daily use.

I am assuming the dust collector will be enclosed in a closet if it is in the office, but wondering if it can go outside that wall like in the other drawings.

Is there a drill press, storage cabinets, sharpening/grinder spot?

Mike
The first thing you need to do is get rid of that wall and car. Then you will have plenty of space. At least for a little while
What are you building?

The use of a space usually dictates the design.

If it's just a place to get away from Her, try barriers and diversions.

You need a 5hp 80 gal compressor with a motion activated switch near the entry door, so it will start up when the pressure is low and someone walks by, and turn on the dust collection system at the same time.

Make the path to your Office follow a round about route, through the dust collection room.

Excavate a Basement under your Office so the your Secretary can hide before Her gets there.

Anyway, what are you building in your shop?

William Hodge
i was able to have my jointer right up next to my table saw as it was lower than ts top. saved room and dc piping was easier. planer on wheeled cart slid up next to jointer when needed and quick hookup to dc.