new shingle roof -- tear off or not?
Our current roof is original -- 35 years old

Taking bids on redoing and and trying to figure if there is any reason to do a full tear-off.

What's the thinking on this?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Yes tear it off. Overlays decrease the life of the new shingles dramatically. Look up NRCA national roofing contractors assoc.
I would tear it off just to check on the condition of the wood underneath if it has been 35 years.

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.
Tear off means less weight on the roof. What kind of snow load do you get?

Twinn
Will post for food.
theeviltwinn said:

What kind of snow load do you get?

Twinn

Not a big problem here.

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
A couple things to think about.

1. How is the current shingles laying down. If they are curling - tear off.
2. Look in the attic. If there is visible water leakage or darkening. I would consider tear off. Deck may have issues.
3. Check the warranty on the new shingles. There maybe a condition to the warranty if there is not a tear off.
4. I know snows not big there but the first 3 feet should be rubberized underlayment to protect the deck from ice dam damage. May or may not be an issue in your area. I know you have more ice storms than snow storms.
5. The weight may or may not be an issue depending on the roof rafters. My old house had 2x4's - not good for extra layers. This house has 2x8 - no issues with extra layers.

Ok - more than a couple things.

Do ask about the cost but I would recommend tear off. Much nicer job.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Another good thing to check is the new roof's warranty. It may be contingent on a tear off.
Please pray for our troops! Semper Fi!

Bob Ross (I used to be called "Doc")
www.theborkstore.com

Yes, new roofing materials generally require a tear-off to meet warranty, and as pointed out---old sheathing, not to mention flashing may need to be replaced. Besides, tear-off should be the cheapest part of the job. Just not worth it to save a few bucks.
Dave
Hadn't thought about the warranty issue. I will discuss it with our contractor.

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
must not be there, but tear off is required here.

Brew