Powermatic 81 bandsaw coming home
I should be bringing home a Powermatic 81 Tuesday night. It has a 1-1/2 HP 3ph motor. My plan is to use a vfd, instead of buying s new motor.

Any suggestions on brands, models and suppliers.

Open to any and all pointers!

Thanks!
Reality is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
I like Hitachi wj200 VFDs but a Huyang (or other import ebay special) would work no problem. I also own and like the Teco FM50.

Ive used mfg authorized ebay sellers that drop ship, and factorymation for my VFD purchases.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Hey Mike, thanks for the input! I will verify specs on the motor (i know it's 1.5hp, but not sure about the amp draw) when I get home tonight and see about ordering something up!

thanks again!
The NEC requires wiring for 6.0A (230V 3-ph) for a 1.5 hp motor, which is high on purpose, and your motor isn't likely to be higher. The 2 hp TECO FM50 has a rated 7.5 FLA, plus they always have substantial overload capacity (short- and long-time), so it's more than enough to run that saw, even if you lay into it while resawing. The motor will get hot, but the drive should handle it in stride.

http://www.factorymation.com/Products/FM...202-C.html
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Got it home last week. Paid $50 for the saw and another $50 to rent a truck with a lift gate. The table and motor were removed for traveling.

The wife's birthday was Saturday, so I have had a chance to do much yet.

A couple of new blades and the VFD are waiting on the bench...

Wow, I didn't know what an 81 looked like. That is a big fellow. Nice score for $50.
Great score! Is a restoration in order or do you just want it running?
Wow, that a MONSTER!!!

And you got it for $50!!!

Nice.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Great score. I've got the Delta/Rockwell equivalent. Is that wheel control in the front for a reeves drive? Are you planning on new bearings all around, that's what I would be planning on. Good luck, keep the photos coming.
Good things happen if one can only wait.

What color will it be? I just did a Google image search and some 81's are Powermatic gold and there were also two different shades of green.
Brian
Shop power by Powermatic, Shopsmith, Delta & Bosch.