Bath fitters ?
Good. Read tanks. It won't be till winter. I'll give it some thought till then . I was reading the reviews for the Rust Oleum product . They were pretty good . Maybe I'll price it from a professional.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Rebath is far, far superior.

Have both come to your house, and compare.

Once I saw Rebath's product, BathFitter was no longer in consideration.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
We are in the process of having our tub relined for the second time. This time we are using a company called Paradise Home, reviews on Home Advisor were excellent. Their product is acrylic and 1/4" thick and warranted for life against failure and staining. Our old one was thin and it did not take long for it to stain from our well water. Needless to say they did not stay in business long.
Herb
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
Herb said:

We are in the process of having our tub relined for the second time. This time we are using a company called Paradise Home, reviews on Home Advisor were excellent. Their product is acrylic and 1/4" thick and warranted for life against failure and staining. Our old one was thin and it did not take long for it to stain from our well water. Needless to say they did not stay in business long.

The thicker wall will probably help resist cracking, but the staining will not be affected. Acrylic is much softer than porcelain, so make sure you use no abrasives, use only approved cleaners.

I have a guest bath to be redone so let us know how this works out.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Whether you're considering Rebath or other aftermarket treatment----go ahead and get a price, but then do yourself a favor. Get an estimate on replacing the tub.

Now, if you have a tile surround that is in otherwise good shape, seems to me a good tile person could remove the bottom row (all you need to clear the tub) and later find a tile that could compliment the wall and run a border around the top of the tub. I think you may find the cost worth your consideration for a much better quality.
Dave
daveferg said:

Whether you're considering Rebath or other aftermarket treatment----go ahead and get a price, but then do yourself a favor. Get an estimate on replacing the tub.

Now, if you have a tile surround that is in otherwise good shape, seems to me a good tile person could remove the bottom row (all you need to clear the tub) and later find a tile that could compliment the wall and run a border around the top of the tub. I think you may find the cost worth your consideration for a much better quality.

Yeah, but his tub is probably cast iron, and a replacement might be stamped steel or worse might be cast acrylic.
Cooler---point remains that aftermarket finishes don't hold up as well as factory applied ones. As to tub type, check out a coated steel tub. We got one and it's holding up great----some sort of finish that reduces the noise of a steel tub. About half-way between steel and cast iron in price.
Dave
daveferg said:

Cooler---point remains that aftermarket finishes don't hold up as well as factory applied ones. As to tub type, check out a coated steel tub. We got one and it's holding up great----some sort of finish that reduces the noise of a steel tub. About half-way between steel and cast iron in price.

This Washington Post article on the subject is very educational.

He makes three points (one which I made earlier). The first is that you should never use any abrasives.

The second is that liquid drain openers destroy the surface of the tub.

And the third is that the finishes are designed to last about 10 years, and are usually guaranteed for 2 to 3 years.

I didn't know about the drain openers. He says that pouring drain opener directly down the drain is not a problem. Pouring it into a puddle of water in a backed up tub is.
Good points on caring for a tub, but lasting 10 years is nothing unless you're satisfied with that. There was nothing wrong with our 26 year old one-piece fiberglass shower tub combos we took out. While they may not have shined, they were still cleanable with no signs of wear. I supposed if someone were looking for a short life extension, some of the aftermarket methods might qualify.
Dave