IT
Almost never find anything worth buying on ebay: almost.

Pete Taran and Patrick Leach?

Looks mint!

What year would that have been?
No idea when it was made. It does have the number 254 on the spine. Here is pic of condition when I received it:
TobyC said:

I'm pretty sure they were made 1996-1998 with IT being sold to L-N at the very end of 1998.

Hard to believe that's almost 20 years ago.
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

JClark said:

[blockquote]TobyC said:

I'm pretty sure they were made 1996-1998 with IT being sold to L-N at the very end of 1998.

Hard to believe that's almost 20 years ago.

[/blockquote]

Thanks Josh!

Bump.
A little information for interest:

I have had an IT for 10 years not, and use it alongside the LN, from which it sprang ..

Article: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews...sen%20saws.html

Since I wrote that article, 9 years ago, the LN has come to be a firm favourite. I like the way it fills my hand, and it cuts powerfully (I have sharpened and reset the teeth a few times). The IT is a touch thinner in the grip, which is better used with a lighter touch.

Looking back over the past 10 years, what I note is that I have improved in my ability to use a dovetail saw with minimal rake. This feature of these saws is really one that sets them apart from saws with significantly more rake, such as the Veritas dovetail saws. If you are starting out, the latter will be easier to use.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I remember reading Pete's post on rec.woodworking, discussing his relief at returning to the employment world so he could stop working 16 hour days, and the fact that they had come to an agreement with a very reputable maker to continue saw production.

That seems like a long time ago.
Mike

Funny on occasion, embarrassing on average.
In all approximately 2000 dovetail saws and 500 carcase saws were built by Pete Taran and Patrick Leach (who was the co-founder. However I am unsure when he left and Pete soldiered on) from the time IT was started in 1996.

The later saws were not numbered. Mine is one of those. It may have been one of the last made as Pete emailed me a few years back to say that he recognised my saw! Apparently it was a distinction piece of fiddleback.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Fair number of saws in the wild: surprising that you seldom see one come up for sale. I guess these were sold at the beginning of the boutique tool era to hardcore woodworkers who just don't want to let them go.