Thoughts from the hand tool guys - tool tracking/database?
I'd be interested in anyone's take on this thread as it might relate to hand tools:

Tool database thread in Power Tools

Specifically, my reply (which I'll quote here):

"I've tossed around the idea of building something like this on the web. My initial plan was to provide a sort of hand-tool version of vintagemachinery.org . Track owners, serial numbers (when applicable), makers, etc. My goal was to compile a database of examples of these various hand tools to make it easier to do type studies and provide a useful resource for researching our own examples against others'.

Seems like the project could also just serve as a personal tool database as you guys are describing here.

Thoughts? Any reason this couldn't be on the web? A "data export" option would be fairly trivial to implement as well. (For those needing a printed, updated list for insurance purposes.)

A few other details I thought might be useful:

-- You'd sign up for an "account" with just a name and password. No other personal info would be gathered.
-- You could make some tools "private", but new entries would be public by default. Public tools would be the meat of the system and what visitors could research against. However, personally identifying details would always be hidden. Visitors would only be shown anonymous details about a given tool example. So, the price you paid for tax purposes might be private, but the maker and photo would be public.
-- Maybe when you buy/sell items, you could easily transfer tools to the account of the buyer with a few checkboxes and a "transfer" button.
-- I could even see a clear path to *selling* tools though the site, however I wouldn't wade into that until later if there was interest and only if I built the payment process on top of Stripe. (Stripe.com - I have lots of experience with it.) "
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
Well you asked for thoughts so I'll share mine. It wouldn't be anything I would be interested in spending time on but others may feel differently. I applaud you for presenting the idea though.

Kansas City Fireslayer said:

Well you asked for thoughts so I'll share mine. It wouldn't be anything I would be interested in spending time on but others may feel differently. I applaud you for presenting the idea though.

Sure. I get that.
This isn't a sales pitch. Only floating an idea I've had for a few years and one which I would build as a hobby project. Also, I'd personally be interested in, as I said, some way to make type studies a bit easier. Scholarly pursuit, etc.

If, in the end, it also provided some secondary benefit to those who did want it (and they exist as outlined in the other thread), then that would be a nice little contribution to the "community", as they say.
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
Although I see this concept as being useful, I am thinking that there would be a great reluctance to put that much information about valuable items and their location out there for all to see. The S&S works rather well for transferring ownership.
Mike Brady said:

Although I see this concept as being useful, I am thinking that there would be a great reluctance to put that much information about valuable items and their location out there for all to see. The S&S works rather well for transferring ownership.

I anticipated the privacy/theft issue, sure. No reason the sensitive portions could be made private. As for location, I only meant to suggest a state/country indicator. Not a physical address. lol
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
Lol, huh. Well, consider me: "Not interested".
Mike Brady said:

Lol, huh. Well, consider me: "Not interested".

WOOPS! I meant to say "sensitive portions COULD be made private". Typo. lol

Anyway, thanks for the couple of you who threw out your 2 cents.
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
Just the idea of making my tools list public sends shivers down my mental "spine." That would be a no go for me.

As for a database - that's a nice idea that I would never implement. Too large a job for one thing, for half the stuff values are uncertain for another. Once completed it would a pretty thing indeed. I'd just rather use them than log them.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
TJ

I just made my own, however, if those who do not know how might want it depending on cost. It would be only used once where someone would put all their stuff on it and then may forget where they put it or only use it two to three times in a few years.

So cost would have to be very small in my opinion.

Also like others said in the other post there are other ones out there too.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
cputnam said:

I'd just rather use them than log them.

An easy perspective to understand. And maybe that'll be the side I come down on in the end. <shrug>
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas