"too much wood"
I think the poor bugger was trying to work something like ipe, or purpleheart, or bloodwood, or yellowheart, or chacte viga, or . . . with hand tools. They are all too much wood for me.

You can't really have too much wood in terms of board feet, even if you don't have enough space to put it in.

Or you could ask him/her

Doug
too much wood is when you have to move it all at once.

I got sick of the storage place raising the rent twice a year, and moved all my wood into the basement. Wow, that was a bad idea
TomFromStLouis said:

Somebody used this phrase with me recently. What do you think he meant?

"More than I can use" I understand, but "too much wood" sounds so different it must mean something else…

I am thinking to much wood means more they a person can use in 10 years. Scraps are NOT included.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
tag said:

It means the person that said it is not a woodworker.

Actually, it was. He was really pretending to himself that such a thing exists, out loud. It worked for both of us.

I have enjoyed the comments.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Martin S. said:

Everyone has a wood stash.

"Too much wood" is the wood you have left over when you die.

That wood is usually transferred to someone else's wood stash, so they can have "too much wood" when they die.

While our wives would prefer we have "just enough wood", most woodworkers know you can never have "too much wood".

In the south it is hard to get nice cherry, so I probably have "too much wood".

If I lived within 50 miles of say, Hearne Hardwoods or Groff and Groff, I would probably just buy enough wood for each project as I built it.

I subscribe to the theory that you can never have too much wood.

Wonderfully stated, and I agree - especially with that last statement.

For many, woodworking is a mode of artistic expression where wood just happens to be the medium. I have a few friends who are painters and others who make ceramic cups and vases. They always claim they never have enough paints and canvas or clay. When photography was analog, I embraced you could never have "too much film."

If you have wood leftover when you die, then we can surmise you probably had an adequate supply during your lifetime. If you have no wood at your death, then you either only got it when needed or you probably never had enough.
Too much wood?

He probably owns a sawmill.
If I had 8 hours to cut down a tree, I'd do it in 15 minutes with a chainsaw and drink beer the other 7:45 hrs.
“Too much wood!”, the wood that must be removed when carving.
When you don’t get what you want, you get experience!
"Too much wood" is a euphemism for "need to buy more tools!"
Too much wood? What's that mean? Is that like having too much fun, or a girl too pretty, or a car too fast!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6gI7Ts14Qw
TomFromStLouis said:

Somebody used this phrase with me recently. What do you think he meant?

I think you need to stay away from that person. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life...
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."