Stanley patent date question...regarding transitionals
I have a Stanley No 22 smoother with a patent date of 12-24-67. Any idea how long that could be good for? The information I am seeing pertains to metal bodied planes.

I wonder why more people don't use these, the smoothers feel great in your hand...
Thanks
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Interesting, Stanley produced the No.22 from 1870 to 1943.

I have a Transitional No.26 Jack plane that found for $20 and cleaned it up and sharpened the blade and it works as well as any of my other metal body planes.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

Would there be any real shot of narrowing down a manufacture time frame?
Scott W said:

Would there be any real shot of narrowing down a manufacture time frame?

According to the type study in Walter's guide, the Stanley cap irons had the 12-24-1867 patent date stamped up until 1892.

If you can post photos of the plane- especially the Stanley mark on the toe and note any patent dates on the lateral adjuster it would help narrow it down.

Josh
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

Thanks for the help....

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p83/i...160957.jpg

The 3 patent dates on the lateral lever indicates 1888-1892 if I read the Type Study correctly.
Greg Wease said:

The 3 patent dates on the lateral lever indicates 1888-1892 if I read the Type Study correctly.

ok. So what does the 1867 mean? Just the plane design?
Scott W said:

[blockquote]Greg Wease said:

ok. So what does the 1867 mean? Just the plane design?

[/blockquote]

I believe it's the patent for the chip breaker, my #1 has the same mark on its chip breaker. So '88-'92 makes sense to me.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thanks guys...i appreciate it.
Greg Wease said:

I'm getting 1888-1899 (type 9 or 10) from the wood bottom plane type study in Walter's. If it has the left hand thread on the adjuster wheel it would be a type 10 (1893-99). It's splitting hairs though.. it's right in that time frame.

And to you guys talking about these wood-bottom planes being great users- keep it quiet, OK? We need to keep folks thinking these are good only for campfires and shelf sitting. Let's keep 'em affordable, ok?

Repeat after me.. "The first rule of the wood bottom plane club is.. you don't talk about the wood bottom plane club."

Everyone else forget you read this.

Josh
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.