Wall Mount 70" TV
I finally gifted myself with one and now I'm considering buying a wall mount but after looking online I realize I don't know enough to go out and buy one.
Any experience and advise here?

Yes I know to make certain it's firmly mounted on studs.
Jim
Halfathumb said:

I finally gifted myself with one and now I'm considering buying a wall mount but after looking online I realize I don't know enough to go out and buy one.

I had to make my own. Couldn't find one that fit our criteria.

Now they make a good variety of them.

I guess I would refer to the kit numbers and instructions in your manual. There are some cheaply made kits out there I wouldn't trust.
20 years ago, I decided to organize the garage and mounted a 2x4 on the wall to hang bikes from. One night, I heard a crash and the bikes had landed on my car. I have no idea how I did such a bad job of finding the studs. So now I'm paranoid about hanging a TV. This is more of a confession that a comment on your problem.

I would probably go through the mounts at amazon or B&H and find the one that looked the most robust
After suffering neck pain for quite a while I finally realized it was from watching TV in bed on a TV on a stand. I then mounted a commercially available wall mount and it resolved all the issues.

They are rated by the weight of the TV. Once you know the weight of the TV it is easy to select the right stand. Mine swivels and I have plenty of room for a flush mount electric outlet. If you are flush mounting the TV you might need a recessed wall outlet.

This is a cheaper answer than an adjustable bed (which would work fine too).

This one is rated up to 176 lbs: http://www.amazon.com/2xhome-Articulatin...+for+70+inch+tv
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
My wall mount is from MonoPrice. Good prices but shipping adds to it.

I have a 42" plasma attached to the mount and then the mount lag bolted to the studs. No worries.

http://www.monoprice.com/category/pages/3

At the same time I also bought HDMI cables and low voltage wall boxes and plates that hide my cables in the wall.
You first have to decide what functionality you need - fixed flat to the wall, or single-axis tilting (angles up/down), or two-axis tilting (angles up/down, left/right). I went with single-axis, as I wanted it close to the wall, and there was no good reason for angling left/right. Similar to this one, but with a bit less than 10 degrees tilt due to the tv hitting the wall. It allows me to tilt it up, which makes connections on the bottom easier. Cables are all in the wall, including power. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BT0RT8Q?psc=1

Oh, and if you're worried about hitting the studs, find them with a stud finder first, then verify with a nail, or even a series of nail holes to find the limits of the stud, and drill into the middle.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
+1 on Monoprice.

However, my main TV is on a console, not attached to a mount. I do have anti-tip-over lanyards attached to the studs behind since I live in earthquake country.

The three other TVs are on Monoprice mounts. They work good and are cost effective.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I wouldn't worry much...buy a well-reviewed mount and make sure you hit the studs.

The TV probably weighs a lot less than you're thinking. Most of these TVs weigh less than large mirrors now. I'm looking at a 70 myself at the moment and it weights a smidge over 50 lbs.
Halfathumb said:

I have 2 32" TVs that are wall mounted. After they were set to where we wanted the TV to be, we have not moved them. (except to plug in a cable from a computer the the HDMI ports.

If you don't plan on moving the TV every time you want to watch it then the only thing to be concerned about is if it will hold the weight.

On the other hand if you need to move the TV frequently, then easy of moving and getting it in the right position is important.

If you buy a mount at a local retailer, you can have them install it and the TV. That can be a good idea.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.