Robust top coat for table
I am building a walnut console table and after showing the customers some samples, they liked the garnet shellac sample best. They will be using the table to store potted plants that they bring in for the winter, so I will need a top coat that provides robust protection without darkening the color.

Previous threads of Jteneyck and also some other google search finds indicate that GF's Enduro clear poly as a good choice. This is a professional product and I don't think its available at the local Woodcraft (not on their website). I see that I can order it through homestead finishing.

Are there other sources for that product that I should consider?

Are there other products that I should consider?

I want to start finishing it this weekend so a locally available product would be prefered, but I will order if necessary.
Check the GF website first, they have a list of local dealers....I was really surprised to see a local consignment shop on their list. (Caution, in my case the selection was very small). But another source is Woodworker's Hardware, they carry the stuff and I ordered a quart from them. They ship quickly. Klingspor also carries it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The only one nearby is Woodcraft in Louisville, but they only carry the retail products. I dont mind ordering, guess I will look around and see who has the best deal.
Arm-R-Seal would be another good choice, Scoony, if that's available locally. I can get both at my local Rocklers. The best prices I've found for EnduroVar is WWHardware, as was mentioned.

Potted plants, huh. I'd advise your clients to put a plastic tray under the plants. No matter how good a finish is, a potted plant sitting there all Winter is likely to do some damage if the pot is at all porous, like clay pots are. If the pot is plastic or a glazed ceramic then they probably would be OK by themselves.

John
Thanks, just ordered a quart from Klingspor. I had thought around Arm-r-seal, but I have used that before and had issues with getting a consistent finish on large flat surfaces.

I have been spraying more and more and excited about trying the Enduro. As for the potted plants, I will make sure I add that into my regular care and maintenance speil.
As others have said, do not rely on a finish to totally seal the surface from long term moisture. This is particularly true of waterborne finishes--none are totally water resistant and none will protect the surface from scratches or abrasions. An option is the create a bead of silicone sealant around the bottom of the pot. This however may not work for water/moisture protection.

I would second putting a Plexiglas sheet on the top or putting the plant pots on a plastic or melamine plate. You must totally isolate the surface from long standing moisture. No finish will do that. Go to Walmart and look at their dishes that they sell as individual pieces.
Howie.........
I agree about the plexiglass sheet make sure to get the shop to round the edges slightly.

I disagree with Howard on waterborne. By and large they are more durable than either oils or solvent based finishes.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
>>>> I disagree with Howard on waterborne. By and large they are more durable than either oils or solvent based finishes.

That's just not true for one-part waterborne acrylic finishes. It doesn't square with my experience or with any other finishing authorities I have read.

I've asked you a couple of times to cite published test results. So far, I've not seen them.
Howie.........
This is from Homestead Finishing's Website:

Enduro Water Based Clear Poly – Tougher than the tough! Re-formulated (Fall 2010), Clear Poly has better durability and overall toughness than its predecessor. Water clear and non-yellowing with a high solids content for rapid build. KCMA tests on this product show it to beat out solvent based pre-cats from the major finish manufacturers.

My own test results showed EnduroVar to be more chemically durable than oil based polyurethane.

I don't think one can make universal statements that any group of finishes is superior to another. Within each there will be products that are superior to most others in another group, and vice versa. But I will say that some water based products are very, very good, and my own, albeit limited, testing showed a couple of them to be superior to consumer grade oil based polyurethane.

John
No one seems to like oil based poly except me. It applies easily and self-levels. You can build good thickness of coat quickly. And it is extremely durable.

I applied four coats of Minwax oil based to tables at a local Starbucks. The original finish failed in about 8 or 10 months. They kept my refinished tables until the scheduled remodel so that means my refinished table tops were in service for just over 9 years. They looked almost new when they were retired. And I am fairly certain that no home owner wipes down their tables 16 times per day, 365 days per year. But at a minimum Starbucks is supposed to wipe down the tables every 30 minutes. They are open 16 hours per day during the week. I doubt that they actually wipe down the tables every 30 minutes, but once an hour is probably reasonable.

Based on experience, and not on some magazine's arbitrary testing procedures, I can say that oil based poly will stand up fine. With no mixing at all you can wipe Minwax's oil based poly or brush it on thick or thin. It is cheap and readily available.

I like it. It applies smoother than the water based I've tried and the water based I've tried seems to cast a blueish tint. Or at the least it does not have a nice warm tone.

I do use water based when I want water clear top coat. The oil base will definitely turn any finish a bit warm.

For outdoors, use spar varnish versions.

Marble or Granite floor tiles may make a satisfactory top, and can be completely waterproof. A nice contrast too.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.