portable generator
I have a 10,000 watt portable generator that I am running to a generator panel. The panel instructions asks if it is a bonded or unbounded generator. I could not find anything in the manual. Anyone have any thoughts?

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. The bond would be between the neutral and the ground. So, put a meter on the green wire and the white wire and see if there is continuity between the two. If there is, it's bonded.
Thanks Snipe, will do

Mel
Most are bonded from the factory. That's a problem when you plug in a 4-wire cord to the panel, as the equipment grounding conductor is also carrying neutral current. What are they suggesting you do if it's bonded? 3-wire power cord with ground rods? Eliminate the internal bond and run a 4-wire?
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Tom
I have run a ground rod for the generator. They are saying if it is unbounded, run a jumper from the main panel neutral bar and the generator neutral bar. Which should it be, bonded or unbounded.

Mel
I'm not clear on what they're recommending. Do you have a model number for that panel? Or a schematic?

Ideally, you'd want a 4-wire feeder, and no bond in the generator. But if the generator is unbonded internally, then the neutral and ground won't be bonded at the 120V receptacles on the generator itself, which is not good if using a portable power tool. In which case, a 3-wire feeder, just like what feeds your house, is more appropriate.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Tom
I checked between green and white on the 4 prong twist lock receptical on the generator and get continuity. I also checked form green to the black and red and get continuity as well. I am running the cord from the generator to a weatherproof four prong twist lock receptical and from there to the generator panel.

Mel
You get continuity between the black and white because they're two ends of a winding. Since green is bonded to white, you get continuity there, too. Same with red and white (plus green). The important one is between white (neutral) and green (equipment ground). It's internally bonded, as are most portables.
Tom

Tom
Thanks very much, I sure appreciate your time.

Mel