Band saw recomendation
I work primarily with hand tools but am thinking of getting a band saw. The saw would be used for ripping and resawing. (I am just getting tired of ripping with a hand saw.) I have never used a band saw so don't know what to look for. Budget is definitely an issue. Thinking under $1,000. Space is also limited. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Woodcraft has the much loved Rikon 10-325 on sale for $700.
"lowest price ever" says the flyer.
Ag
Your first decision is size. A 14 inch bandsaw is probably a good entry level size ( 9 and 10 inch are not very powerful ). A 17 inch is a step up, and some have 19 or above, though those would be for more serious users. As you increase the size of the wheels, you increase the width of the material you can rip, you also get a bigger table, and a bigger motor, and usually, but not always, can use wider bandsaw blades and resaw thicker material. A lot of us have a 17 inch BS from Grizzly. The entry level model is under $900 Grizzly GO513 going just over $1200, including freight, gets you cast iron wheels and better guides GO513X2 If you went with a 14 inch saw, you could get what they call the extreme version with cast iron wheels and a 1 1/2 hp motor for under $1000 including shipping web page Rikon makes some well reviewed saws as well, and you can sometimes get very good pricing from Woodcraft if there is one near you, since you would save shipping. The Grizzly website gives a pretty good description of each of their machines, including weight and overall size of each machine. BTW, the stock blade from Grizzly is crap, no matter what you buy, you will want to buy a blade from a third party.
Size really depends on what you want to do with it. Right now I have a 10" INCA and a 20" Delta. My first saw was a 14" Delta. BTW, these were all bought used. For lots of my go to cutting, the 10" saw gets the nod, unless I cant work around the throat depth. Larger saws excel when it comes to thicker stock, especially resawing stock to thinner dimensions.

You can go ahead and spend 1000 on something new and shiny or you can look around for something used. I routinely see many of the 14" delta clones (like grizzly) go for anywhere from 200 to 400. These are perfectly adequate saws and a good tool to start with and learn from. Bandsaws, even new ones out of the box need to be tuned and tweaked to cut their best. You can start expensive or start cheap, the choice is yours.
I agree that a 14" band saw is a good compromise. I have a Laguna 14-12. I am very happy with it and impressed by its design and quality. It lists right about $1000 give or take the lamp and mobile base. You can get by without the lamp, certainly -- provide your own. The mobile base is very useful if you will need to move it often. Another mobile base could be tricky because the saw is top heavy. It is a two-person job to assemble (at least when the time comes to stand it up). Tech support was good for the few questions I had.

I use mine the way you said you would -- mainly ripping and resawing with occasional contour cutting. I do not have a table saw. This is an excellent saw. It is heavy and stable. It actually runs a 3/4" blade (most 14" can't sufficiently tension a 3/4" blade.) The 14" resaw capacity is more than I have needed so far. The motor has plenty of power. I have not yet had it struggle to cut whatever I asked it to.

It comes with ceramic guides which are easy to adjust compared to other saws. It will take a blade as narrow as 1/4" without modification. (I have used only 1/2" and 3/4" so far.) It is said to take a 1/8" blade with a change of guide blocks.

The table is cast iron, very solid, with double trunnions. The fence is excellent in my opinion -- converts from "ripping" mode to a tall fence for resawing. It's easy to adjust and stays where you set it. The lever for de-tensioning lever is convenient. I've not been satisfied with Laguna blades but other brands are available in the 115" length as a stock item.

I had a Craftsman Pro 14" that was very similar to the 14" Rikon. I was very happy with it but the fence was minimally useful and the bearings needed to be replaced after about a year's use. I considered the 14" Rikon but I'm glad I chose the Laguna.

I agree that for your purposes a smaller saw than 14" will not serve you well.

Good luck

Doug
Second the Rikon 10-325 it has a 13" resaw capacity and just needs good blades. It's a little under powered if you are sawing difficult woods but it will do the job. Currently the best bang for the buck.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
barryvabeach said:

Your first decision is size. A 14 inch bandsaw is probably a good entry level size ( 9 and 10 inch are not very powerful ). A 17 inch is a step up, and some have 19 or above, though those would be for more serious users. As you increase the size of the wheels, you increase the width of the material you can rip, you also get a bigger table, and a bigger motor, and usually, but not always, can use wider bandsaw blades and resaw thicker material. A lot of us have a 17 inch BS from Grizzly. The entry level model is under $900 Grizzly GO513 going just over $1200, including freight, gets you cast iron wheels and better guides GO513X2 If you went with a 14 inch saw, you could get what they call the extreme version with cast iron wheels and a 1 1/2 hp motor for under $1000 including shipping web page Rikon makes some well reviewed saws as well, and you can sometimes get very good pricing from Woodcraft if there is one near you, since you would save shipping. The Grizzly website gives a pretty good description of each of their machines, including weight and overall size of each machine. BTW, the stock blade from Grizzly is crap, no matter what you buy, you will want to buy a blade from a third party.

With many power tools, increasing the tools capability also increases the footprint by more than a proportional amount. Bandsaws--not so much. A 17" saw has a bigger footprint than a 14", but in terms of working space (infeed, outfeed, standing, etc) the dimensions change only a few inches in each direction. They do, however, get taller--so folks with low ceilings need to keep that in mind.

earl
Thanks for all the feedback! I will probably try to find a used 14" band saw to start with.
I went through all this calculus when I was looking for a resaw bandsaw. I have, and still have, a Delta 14", 3/4 hp open stand that didn't have the gonads or height capacity (only 6") for resawing and didn't want to do a motor, riser, guides, etc. upgrade. I was tempted by Rikon, but in the end I got a 19" Griz 5014X2 basically for the extra horsepower (3hp) and couldn't be happier, it was the best bang for the buck. As is the 17" 2hp Griz, which I almost bought but saved up the dough to step up. But if cost is an issue, be patient and look for a used machine with at least 1hp if you're going to resaw. As noted, the footprint difference is negligible, height (and weight) is the issue.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I've had a Rikon 10-325 for 5 years and it has met all my requirements, sawing and resawing. If you can get it for $700, buy it! Oh, you can't beat Rikon's customer service. The frosting on the cake will be to mount it on a mobile base so you can move it anywhere you want.