I made a big kitchen table
I Started with some nice 8/4 QSWO

Skip planed to expose grain for matching

I used my Dewalt 734 to plane these boards, some of which I think weighed more than the planer. It got the job done, with some effort.

Instead of using my 6" jointer to edge these boards, I used my Dewalt track saw. It did an excellent job.

I used my circle cutting jig and my plunge router to cut out the circular top. I made passes of about 1/4". The top is 69.5" in diameter. I was going for 72", but the boards didn't quite yield that width. Close enough.

During routing I discovered a defect, seen on the left, which I repaired with glue and clamps.

I had been considering a Festool Domino XL for some time, and this project was the tipping point. It is an expensive tool, and I do not think it justifies the price tag. That being said, it save me a LOT of time and produced excellent results.

Here's the finished base. I was going for a design that provided plenty of stability, and stayed out of the way at the same time.

The top weighs around 180# and is attached with gravity. These dowels keep the top oriented. There are matching holes in the underside of the top, which are slightly over-sized to allow for expansion.

Here's the final product.

I rounded over the edges of the top using my Milwaukee 5625 router.

The finish is Waterlox because it is tough, easy, and does a fair job of popping the grain.

WOW!!!!

Excellent......the base just makes it.

Ed
Really like the table. I like the base.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Very nice. When can it be delivered?
Beautiful work!

"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Nice table.

Very cool base!
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Very nice!! Great base design.
Victor

"The cure for anything is saltwater....sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
Can't say it better than the above guys, but I have to say it again. Great job and love the base. Guess the Festool paid for itself on this job.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
I love the look. I especially love the base. Can you explain the engineering of the base to me, I get part way, then get lost. So when you put the table on top, that transfers the load to the long members, which tends to push them out and down. Part of the down force goes to the stub legs ( the shorter members that are joined to the legs at an angle) and the rest goes down to the center under the table. My real question is whether you need the part of the long members that goes under the table, or whether it would support itself if the stub leg came up, made a turn where it attached to the other part of the leg, and got attached to the base?
Very nice. Like everyone else, I also like the base.