What to do with your shorts?
buzzard752 said:

Winter's coming. I burn 'em!

If you throw them in the washer with some Tide, you can use them again.
Hank Knight in SC said:

[blockquote]buzzard752 said:

Winter's coming. I burn 'em!

If you throw them in the washer with some Tide, you can use them again.

[/blockquote]

I do all my washing in Tide.

... go ahead, ask me why ...

Why?

Because it is too darn cold out Tide.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Wish I had an easy answer. I recently finished a large project so have been making some small stuff from the scrap bin.

Improved some tool storage, including a shrine for my T-handle Allen wrenches:
" />

" />

A little pencil box for my wife (an artist). I may make more and try and sell these to her artist friends.
" />

The beginnings of two picture frames dimensioned

" />

All of which consumed about two board feet of scrap and I am still left with this mess. This is a LOT of pencil boxes!
" />

I may advertise on our towns freecyle program and let the crafters in town grab a box of it.

Mike
My neighbor has a fire pit. I keep him supplied. Alot of my scrap is white cedar- and I am very careful with laying out my stuff- if it is big enough to use, it gets used pretty quickly. Other woods, I will keep "decent sized" scrap- otherwise, it gets shipped to the neighbor's fire pit.

I am glad you made the distinction of boards instead of wearing shorts.

I have a plastic tub I put them in and with each species marked on the tub.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Lol! Just as I thought, most of you are in the same situation I'm in. I have burned my share of scraps over the years. I've got a buddy who makes wooden toys and he gets a bunch, but mostly it just stacks up. Every time I go to the fire pit I can't help but think about the board foot price of walnut or cherry. I'd be happy to give away small pieces to anyone who can use them, although I would certainly prefer to keep it local.
Mike that is how to use shorts/scrap wood. So when you are done the person looking at it had no idea you didn't cut it out of larger stock. Well done.

Every year it is a different do dad, thing-a-ma-jig, or whatnot that I make a bunch of for Christmas presents. For this years adventure shorts of at least 7" up to 9.5" in length are needed, width can be variable because I am going to glue them up to make cheese slicer boards For a board with the "knife mark" already defined, and not needing more than a simple soapy washcloth wipe to clean I see no need for end grain, just a simple cheese board with a do dad attached to do the heavy lifting

Christmas gifts for the "Usual Suspects"
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Router bowls
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Before I got back into woodworking, I actually bought some variations of these bread cutting boards and gave them as presents.

Seems like a good use for shorts when combined with some scrap ply.

I thought that I might try making some if I ever escape the vortex.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I make wooden spoons out of them.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop