Lathe tool and accessory storage.
I'm finally starting to collect more and more turning tools and accessories for my lathe. I do have a small cabinet for storing accessories and a shelf on the bottom of my lathe for turning tools. I'd like to make a better cabinet etc. for storing those tools and accessories.

I'd like to see what you guys have come up with.

Thanks,

Gary
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."

All kinds of folks like to store the tools in PVC tubes or such, handles up. I think storing with the pattern of the tool visible at all times - handle down - is the better way. For my part, I use magnetic strips on the wall the lathe butts against. No worries about any spot being suitable for every tool, either.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.

mobile so I can roll it to the lathe or out of the way

This one is a limited of shot of whats behind the lathe
---------------------------
Czarcastic (Steven)

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
I like things mobile. " />

I keep chucks and chuck stuff in a wall cabinet, plus shelves for steadys and related crap.
Here is what I came up with.
About 5' long, 30' High, 14" total depth including both doors. Pegboard in doors for storing on both sides. Sixteen linear feet of pegboard.
I can reach any item standing at the lathe with no more than one step.

Outer Doors Open

Inner doors open.
I need to come up with a better plan for what I've got, too. For someone who bought a lathe for the occasional need for something round, I sure seem to be acquiring a rather large assortment of tools...

I'll be watching this thread pretty close.
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
So great solutions so far! I have limited floor space so I need to hang stuff on the walls. Although, available wall space is dwindling as well.
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."

This won't help for your floor space issue but it's what I got. I haven't collected all that many tools (yet), I can move it to the spot that is handiest for what I'm turning and can stuff it in the corner when I'm done.

g

I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone