Gray streaks in pine
I often encounter nice, wide pine boards with gray streaks. The streaks run deep and wide. Any idea what causes these and how to to prevent them? My guess is mold due to being air dried outside but I'm not so sure.

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he that hears my word, and believes on him that sent me, has everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation, but is passed from death unto life" --John 5:24
Blue Stain from logs not being sawn when fresh cut. And yes its a mold of sort.
wikipedia page on Blue stain fungus

Forest Products Lab paper on Blue Stain
Might be from the pine bark beetle that devastated pines in the Rockies over the recent years, although those stains are usually blue. Furniture from beetle kill pine is fashionable in Colorado.
Blue stain can be featured, especially in rustic furniture....

There will be LOTS of blue stain ponderosa available in the near future locally, because of the huge forest fires.

Fresh dead pine doesn't generally show blue stain, but with mills only able to process a limited amount, most timber will develop the fungus.
Beetle Kill pine.

I seen a lot of it when I lived in Colorado. The beetles get into the pine by the billions and dye and kill the tree.

I think it is a fantastic contrast to the wood.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
That's beautiful. I'd use the pine as-is most of the time but sometimes a clear piece of pine is more desirable.

The bark beetles are brutal. We've gotten quite a few large trees killed.
"Most assuredly, I say to you, he that hears my word, and believes on him that sent me, has everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation, but is passed from death unto life" --John 5:24
[blockquote]MountainWood said:

Blue stain can be featured, especially in rustic furniture....

I know.