Brace with odd-numbered swing
Far too many braces have passed through my hands, and still far too many are living in my shop. The swings on braces tend, I've found, to be in even numbers - 6", 8", 10", and so on.

Today, at a rummage sale, I picked up the second one I've found with an odd-numbered swing, at 13". I didn't get it for that reason - it's got a really nice ball-bearing chuck - but I'll probably keep it for that reason. Good 14"-swing braces are hard to find, and this is close enough.

The hard-to-read logo seems to read "P.O.&W." (NOT P.S.&W., which was my first thought) around the top of a circle and "Guaranteed" around the bottom, with an undecipherable logo in the middle. There's also a number on it: 8012. Any ideas as to maker?
somebody has to say it, perhaps it is a Peck, Oh, and Wilcox
Quote:

a hand with cold chisel in a circle, with "P.S. & W., Guaranteed" around the circle

Quote:

This 12" brace is numbered 8012B and was near the top of P.S.&W’s brace line in its day.

http://www.sydnassloot.com/brace/psw.htm
ANTIQUE PECK, STOW & WILCOX NO. 8012 "SAMSON" BRACE DRILL WITH 12" SWEEP

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/an...-290687149
In other words, I think it does say P.S. & W.

Show pix to the contrary.
TobyC said:

I agree -- I also bet it isn't stamped "13", but rather "12" (the last two digits in the part number)
Joe Bailey said:

[blockquote]TobyC said:

I agree -- I also bet it isn't stamped "13", but rather "12" (the last two digits in the part number)

[/blockquote]

+1
Oh, it's stamped 8012 - but the radius of the swing is definitely 6-1/2", from center of crank to center of knob spindle.
I measured my Pexto 8012, and it's 5 7/8. I got short changed.