Rehabbing a Millers Falls 2B eggbeater
I am cleaning up a post 1949 MF 2B eggbeater and have a problem with the two pinion gears. Both of these are very difficult to turn. I suspect that any oil in them has thickened over the years. I have tried soaking the drill in solvent (can't remember what I used) but that didn't do anything. There are 2 oiling holes for the drive pinion but nothing for the idler pinion.
Anyone have an idea how to free these up or what is involved in being able to remove the pinions from the frame.
PB Blaster (penetrating oil) into the hole and top and bottom joints of both gears. Let it sit for 6 hours, work the gears to get more movement. Repeat overnight over several days if necessary. They will free up. Sometimes it will take time and effort to get a tool functioning like it should. Patience is necessary.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Would agree with PB blaster/kroil/penetrating oil. If that doesn't make much difference, try a little heat (cigarette lighter can be enough). Don't need to get it red hot or anything, just enough to loosen up the old gunk and mix it up with the new oil/solvent you are trying to work in there.

A.
andrewb said:

Would agree with PB blaster/kroil/penetrating oil. If that doesn't make much difference, try a little heat (cigarette lighter can be enough). Don't need to get it red hot or anything, just enough to loosen up the old gunk and mix it up with the new oil/solvent you are trying to work in there.

A.

Yup, great point, heat helps as well. In the past I've used my bride's hair dryer but she found out about it and dramatically put the kibosh on that, then I found a B&D paint stripper heat gun at a garage sale and it works really well for this purpose.

But be careful with open flame as PB is flammable.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Jock,

To remove the drive pinion gear, there's a tapered pin through the gear and the shaft. Clean the gear thoroughly so you can find the pin. It can be driven out in only one direction, so be careful to not force it out in the wrong direction. It comes out easily in the right direction.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)