Just a "plane" beginning
I posted several days ago about getting started using hand planes and asked for advice on purchasing. I received several comments and appreciate them all. Some even sent additional info privately and also very helpful. After pondering it all I have reached two conclusions. 1st is I will probably buy most of the 4 or 5 planes I plan to get from some of the folks on this site who refurbish them and get them ready to go. However, for getting started and being as green as can be on planes, I also have decided to get a new one to start with. From my reading and research I have decided to get the WoodRiver 5 1/2 jack plane unless I am convinced otherwise. What do you think about that one for a first plane? I also see it is backordered till December, but that's the way it is.
Feedback?
Woodrot
I would buy a LN.

I would not have a Woodriver plane in my shop, just on general principle.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Martin S. said:

I would buy a LN.

I would not have a Woodriver plane in my shop, just on general principle.

+1

However, here is one reason. If...and I say if you decide not to continue, you can sell the LN for almost what you paid and in some cases more if the plane is old enough.
There are other reasons but who needs an argument about ethics.?
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
The anti-Woodriver biases is understandable as they had some pretty crappy tools in the past. The current planes are an excellent value they only need sharpening out of the box—at least the three that I have. The LV planes are in some cases a better buy but are more money. While LN planes are great and have the highest manufacturing quality you are buying a Roles Royce.

As for planes on SN'S I have bought from Admiral and TablesawTom and the planes have been first rate and ready to go. Unless you are going to make a significant investment in time and money for supplies I would strongly disrecommend reconditioning a plane.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I am somewhat prejudiced, so take this with a grain of salt, but a #5 or #5 1/2 are not worth the premium price of a "retail" plane, whether WR, LN or whatever. Vintage will give you what you need. A 5 1/2 is not the first plane I'd choose, rather a #5, or #4. I can see the premium price for a 4 or 3 if you are so inclined and its in your budget. If you want a very serviceable 5, shoot me a PM, I can fix you up for less than 1/4 of the price of a WR 5 1/2. It will do the same work.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Woodrot

The refurbished planes you buy from woodnetters will probably perform much better initially than the Wood River. I suggest you read the current issue of Fine Woodworking. According to them, the Wood River #5 required some work before it was useful. So, the Wood River may be a good choice at the price point, but you might be in the position I was in -- learning to plane while learning how to fettle a plane. Its do-able but a somewhat harder road.

I feel your pain. It was once very hard for me to believe that a LN or LV was worth it. But they are, in my opinion and the opinion of most others who post comments here. Up to a point, you really do get what you pay for when it comes to hand planes. On the other hand, they do cost a lot of money . . .

Thanks for the update.

All the best

Doug
I hope you've already made a deal with Admiral on that 5 he offered. If you want to crank it up to near premium, spring for a LV iron and chip breaker for it. You'll be happy with the results and will have a plane that can act as a benchmark for future acquisitions.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Well, now you fellows are causing me to rethink all my thinking. I sense some animosity toward WoodRiver. Is it something more than simply a quality issue? And I will be learning to plane while learning the plane so to speak. I had read a good review or two and saw a youtube review that indicated the WoodRiver 4 1/2 smoothing and 5 1/2 jack was really good, but doesn't seem like so much so here. Back to the thinking box.
Woodrot
Personally, I think the "bias" towards Woodriver is threefold. First, they started out selling some pretty crappy planes. Second, they basically cloned the LN planes which took a lot of the Bedrock design. Third, they are made in China (I believe). I agree with Rich (Admiral) about a 5. For the kind of work they do, I'd suggest getting a refurbished Stanley and put the savings toward a LV or LN smoother, jointer, low angle block, etc. You could probably buy a very serviceable 5 from Rich ( or others around here, myself included) and buy the LV low angle block for what you'll spend on the Woodriver 5 1/2. Just my $.02
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
I think that you would have an easier learning curve if you start with a #5 (or the MF equivalent) from Rich (Admiral), Dave, or Tom that has been sharpened by the seller.

It is amazing the difference that a properly sharpened blade makes.

I own a set of late version 2 / early version 3 Woodriver bench planes. There is nothing wrong with them, but I was naive at the time and paid more for them than I would have for the equivalent plane from one of the very good sellers here. In general, the blades on the WR arrive less sharp than many of the planes that I have bought (unsharpened) in SnS here.

The flat side Bedrocks ground by Tom will kick the hiney of a WR plane.

Personally, I am very partial to corrugated MF planes. Dave, Rich, SteveF, and several other sellers here have transferred some very crispy ones to my caretaking.

Of course, I also have a nice selection of LV bevel-up planes that I have picked up both new and used. One of those was acquired through the Christmas auction here and is among my most-prized tools.

Unlike many others here, I have no desire to add any LN's to my shop. My one experience at one of the LN roadshows was so discouraging that I do not even consider doing business with them. Other people's experiences have been very different and I do not argue against those folks paying the premium for tools that do not impress me as any better than their competition.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.