Nicholson Bench Builders....
Ever wish you had a thicker top? I just got my top and skirt wood and was wondering because after I plane this top it just seems like it may tend to feel thin.

thoughts?
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Not a Nicholson but the apron was definitely influenced by same.
As you can see, the top is 4x4.
Inexpensive and easy to build, I am very, very pleased with it.

Ag
I drill my holdfast holes through the top and then flip the bench over and put 2 x 4 backer over the holes with glue and screws. Flip the bench back on its feet and I then drill through the backer. things line up that way and I don't accidentally hit a screw. I pack the aprons out with 3/4 stock.
Furniture maker
Clock maker
Trouble maker
www.schoolofwood.com
[blockquote]AgGEM said:

I am very, very pleased with it.

[blockquote]Quote:

I would be too. I'd use 4x4's if they were readily available here.
MikeS. said:

I pack the aprons out with 3/4 stock.

What does this mean?
Hey Ag....that is a very interesting bench.The shoulder vice seems quite different to me. Could you post a photo from another angle?

Your design looks simple, strong and relatively inexpensive....This is the first bench I have wanted to copy...thanks for posting....

Andrew
"That's like getting a running start and diving headfirst into the vortex."

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
I build up the thickness of the aprons with 3/4 inch stock. I leave gaps for the legs that create large dados for the legs to fit in.
Furniture maker
Clock maker
Trouble maker
www.schoolofwood.com
Humanbackhoe said:

Hey Ag....that is a very interesting bench.The shoulder vice seems quite different to me. Could you post a photo from another angle?

Your design looks simple, strong and relatively inexpensive....This is the first bench I have wanted to copy...thanks for posting....

Andrew

Thank you! I am flattered....
Be in the shop tomorrow and I will snap a few pix and PM you so as not to Hijack this thread.
Meantime, here is the vice you asked about:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.as...&cat=1,41637,41659

Ag
Put the pix here please!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard