sliding locked tailstock
I have a Jet 1014 and my tailstock doesn't grab really tight when locked to the the ways. It tends to slide away from the wood as I clamp wood between centers. Should I cheater bar the tailstock ways clamp handle (and likely break it) or do you have suggestions for increasing the friction.

I'm taking a class at Annapolis Woodworks and they have ten PM 3520's. I didn't realize how nice it is to have rock solid tailstock until using it. That $300 class may cost me $4000 plus a half my stuff when my wife leaves me after buying one.
There's a big nut on the bottom of the locking mechanism for your tailstock. Perhaps that could use a little tightening so you have more or less adjustability with tightening your tailstock up.
Both the tail stock nut and banjo nut tend to loosen on mine. Just have to tighten by hand.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
chips ahoy said:

Both the tail stock nut and banjo nut tend to loosen on mine. Just have to tighten by hand.

Mel

I used a nylock on Ol'Blue's adjustment. Held through pretty much everything after the jam nut original fell out and got swept away.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
MM
You talking about a locking nut with the nylon piece in it? Sounds like a good idea.

Mel
chips ahoy said:

MM
You talking about a locking nut with the nylon piece in it? Sounds like a good idea.

Mel

What I used. Do they even make fiber locks any more? If so, second choice.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
A few years ago, someone was marketing a square block to replace the circular washer type. It was supposed to eliminate tailstock creep. I don't know anyone who purchases one. Be careful adjusting too close to going over center as you can apply enough force to break the threaded portion. I do know of that happening to a couple of club members. I just put up with it and hit the handle a little harder with my hand
MM
Sounds like a good plan, they don't loosen off, will look into it.

Mel
Joe K1 said:

A few years ago, someone was marketing a square block to replace the circular washer type. It was supposed to eliminate tailstock creep. I don't know anyone who purchases one. Be careful adjusting too close to going over center as you can apply enough force to break the threaded portion. I do know of that happening to a couple of club members. I just put up with it and hit the handle a little harder with my hand

That would be Monster Tools. Well made and nice folks to work with. I bought a set, but have not installed them yet. Just haven't been using the mini enough to take the time for the upgrade.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
monster tools makes replacement piece that stops slip.

http://monster-lathe-tools.com/cart.php?...gory_id=64

ian