Out with the old and in with the newer
I sold my big-ish 1971 Delta 46-201 this past weekend to a guy that wanted to get bit by the lathe bug badly. I did that so I could buy a used Jet mini. Crazy, right?

Not really.

My garage is too small with a full complement of stationary ww'ing tools and two big motorcycles (a Concours 1400 and an 8'4" chopper I built). Getting rid of the lathe and two under utilized cabinets made it useful again. My workbench is now my lathe and grinder's work station.

Not only that, but I've finally come to grips with the fact that I'm not a bowl turner--I do pens, bottle stoppers, and shaving kits. That's about it.

Like another post that was just put up, I'm back in the saddle again--a buddy of mine is soon opening a jewelry store and wants me to make high-end pens for him. I don't think I can lose; he is buying the kits, tooling, and supplies. I get half of retail sale price when they sell.

*fingers crossed*
Semper fi,
Brad

Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

blackhat said:

+1 that sounds like a very sweet deal.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Remember, you can always design those >30" legs as two (or more) pieces tenoned together. Ol'Blue (46-204) took up half again the space of the 3000, a benefit in a small shop.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Nice to see you posting here again Brad and good luck on the future selling.

Are you still going to school?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Mike,

The lathe came with the bed extension, which will be put to use on the first project--turning a handle for one of Capn Eddie's carbide tools.

Arlin,

I got my associates last year but have no plans on going back. I'm just too busy, already have a good job, and the missus wants to get her masters degree.

Thanks for the welcome!
Semper fi,
Brad

Welcome back Brad, great to see you get back to turning.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Sounds like a workable plan.

I would also recommend finding ways to develop some "residual" income from your turning business. Writing articles, selling books and/or plans, sponsorships for your website or blog, or something else. Takes time to develop, but after a couple of years, I make $3/400 per month just from residuals every month. Do the work once, sell it over and over.

Feel free to touch base with me at rbagnall@consultingwoodworker.com if you need more info about some of these ideas.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.