Electric bill driving me crazy
When I met loml she was in an apartment and since she is a flight attendant and out of town allot I wondered why her Elec was so high. Also had trouble with no hot water or too hot etc... Come to find out she was powering the neighbors waterheater. So when she went out of town to visit her parents for over a week I just turned off her waterheater. Then the neighbor complained about no hot water... They never fixed it but she wasn't there much longer anyway.
Bob10 said:

I would bet your meter has problems or you are paying for someone else's power. Worn AC units tend to run forever too

I would lay it on HVAC because it is an old unit, but bill is higher than most of my neighbors highest bill on months when we have the windows open.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
messmaker said:

[blockquote]Bob10 said:

I would bet your meter has problems or you are paying for someone else's power. Worn AC units tend to run forever too

I would lay it on HVAC because it is an old unit, but bill is higher than most of my neighbors highest bill on months when we have the windows open.

[/blockquote]

Is this the print out from your power company that says you are higher than the neighbors?

I was talking to some folks about that... we think everyone's bill says they are higher than the neighbors.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

CLETUS said:

Is this the print out from your power company that says you are higher than the neighbors?

I was talking to some folks about that... we think everyone's bill says they are higher than the neighbors.

I was wondering the same thing.

All the houses in my neighborhood were built around 1910 and some as late as 1940. Mine was built in 1996. However, my electric company kept saying I was above average in use last year--even with brand new windows. No way, I thought, but then I kind of suspected my FIL. In the summer time he'd crank up the space heater in his room while the AC was on and in the winter, he'd crank the heater even higher. Once he went back home, the utility is reporting I'm below average now.

So I don't think they're pulling the wool over your overs if that's the information you're comparing.
I get a form letter every two months from the electric company that shows some bar graphs. It always indicates that I am using less electric than that average but more than the most efficient neighbors.

But electric is so much cheaper up here (compared to Long Island) that I never give it a thought. It is so cheap that they only send bills every two months.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have a thread on this forum about that, they always say we use more than our neighbors -- by a lot. I really don't believe it, especially in the summer. We do have inefficient heat, which is something I plan to do something about soon.
I think we're very energy conscious and we get the same stupid letter from our electric company who is always pushing to install one of these gizmos where they can control when we use the AC---being retired--ain't no way they're going to shut down my AC---

You didn't say if your stove, water heater or clothes dryer were gas or electric. These can suck more juice then you'd realize. Also, any old CRT or older plasma TVs can suck a lot of power. (was reading few companies even make plasma any more). CFL or LED bulbs can help. But an old AC unit which runs all the time can really spike your bill. And I'd agree with the others, you show have the power company look at your meter.
Dave
Very true on the old plasma tvs. They were power hogs and by design short lived. Very few are still made and those are the super cheap big tvs out there that the suckered are buying then not knowing why their living room is so hot and why they are using more power.
Robert Adams said:

Very true on the old plasma tvs. They were power hogs and by design short lived. Very few are still made and those are the super cheap big tvs out there that the suckered are buying then not knowing why their living room is so hot and why they are using more power.

Oh so true!!! Our first big screen was a plasma---great picture, but the heat----and then moving it---oh, my back!!

Can't believe how light weight the LED/LCDs are with great pictures. Technology marches on,----and on, and on.
Dave
daveferg said:

[blockquote]Robert Adams said:

Oh so true!!! Our first big screen was a plasma---great picture, but the heat----and then moving it---oh, my back!!

Can't believe how light weight the LED/LCDs are with great pictures. Technology marches on,----and on, and on.

[/blockquote]

Its only recently with the OLED panels that Plasma's have been eclipsed in picture quality. Regular LED/LCD cannot compare in color saturation, refresh rate or black levels. Yes plasma is heavy and uses a bit more power - but man the picture on my 65" Panasonic is sure hard to beat