My daughter needed a fat wooden leg for her countertop
And I had a chunk of 6 x 6 cedar in my basement. She sent me a pic off the internet and I knew the block part was 8 inches and I just went at it on the rest. I didn't measure anything nor even use calipers. Took me 5 hours to turn. I didn't know cedar could have such interesting patterns. I used General maple finish and Arm R Seal. I've only turned about 10 things in my life including 3 baseball bats.

Well, hot darn. Looks good for somebody with no experience!

What does she think of it?
Semper fi,
Brad

They are all estatic. They kind of wanted a farmhouse look and that's why I wasn't too concerned where the spindle gouges kind of put marks in some places where the wood was soft. i didn't do too bad on the beads although I erred on not getting them totally perfect because I've learned the getting the last part of the radius can make a catch and I didn't have time for that. Some places did catch slightly but no problem that area just got a bit smaller.
You did a great job on that newbie or not. I love to turn Red Ceder and the more knots the better.

I hope to see more of your turnings in the future.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
It's awesome! Love the way the finish makes it look.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Great job and super looking piece of wood. Who would have thought cedar would look so good?

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Arlin Eastman said:

You did a great job on that newbie or not. I love to turn Red Ceder and the more knots the better.

I hope to see more of your turnings in the future.

Arlin

This is obviously not eastern red "cedar," otherwise known as "aromatic" cedar. It's some sort of old growth stuff from a forest -likely west coast - where the tree added little year by year.

Highly recommend fenceposts from the Borg as a source for ornaments. Naturally light, interestingly patterned and generally reasonably priced. This is west coast cedar, though it is quite red after oiling. Not brittle enough to be redwood, which can be a challenge to turn. Cap is eastern white.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...Purist.jpg

One of the first I ever turned, it's graced our tree over a dozen years already.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I know MM I was just saying what I like and turn. No use getting nit picky.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
This is the side facing inwards toward the island and interesting the knots are lined up vertically. And I debated long and hard whether to have had that side face out. It had more cracks so that was one of the reasons I didn't face it out.
Nice job turning that leg. Looks like western red cedar to me, and a pretty nice chunk of it too. You mostly get 2nd or third growth stuff with huge growth rings in the lumber yards these days. That looks like pretty tight rings and all heart wood.
Rodney