How to trim bamboo
The property to the rear of my lot has a row of bamboo planted several years ago as a visual screen. It looks to be about 40'-50' tall today, doubling in size during the 5 years we've lived here.

In the past I've gotten a few long shoots that droop 20' into my yard and shed, along with a general overgrowth that makes mowing along the fence impossible. I've cleaned it up with loppers when needed, but the owner had usually done a decent job of taking care of things from his side. He was the original planter, and owned a landscaping business.

This past year nothings been done on his side and the overgrowth is becoming a problem. I learned this weekend that the house sold a few months back, and I've got a new neighbor. I plan an stopping by, introducing myself, and seeing how amiable the new folks are to help clean things up.

As a plan B, I'm thinking of how I can trim at the fence line. The bamboo is now tall enough that the drooped shoots are beyong reach with the loppers or any other hand held ground tools.

Manual pole saw won't work because the shoots would just move with the saw. A brush trimmer on a pole would handle the thin shoots, but the mac daddy ones are 1" - 3" think. It couldn't handle that. A pole chain saw could handle the big stuff, but I suspect it bounce away the small stuff.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with bamboo and can offer some suggestions.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
The traditional tool is best. The machete.

Hopefully you have the right type of bamboo. Some is extremely invasive the right stuff makes a great wall between properties.
I tried bamboo as a hedge once and within three years it was taking over. When it started getting close to the fence to the neighbors I decided it was time to do away with it before it jumped over to his place and out of my control. I just used the lawn tractor to run it down, then a machete to cut it close to the ground. I then had to keep mowing it every other day to keep the sprouted leaves cut and it finally died off- runners and all.

I made a few projects out the bamboo.

I'll never do that again.
I have 20 kinds of bamboo in my yard. I also have the 40 foot kind like you. Mine just grows straight up, tho'. When I need to corral it, I just cut them off at the base with a small handsaw.
You do know there are two general types of bamboo, clumping and running? I will never have the running kind, it's way to hard to control.
VH07V  
Once you cut it back, thick black plastic on the ground might keep the spreading down. Or, maybe your neighbor is thinking of cutting down the stand and a lot of black plastic or herbicide can be put down.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Just re-read- 3" thick!

That's a whole new ball game. A machete will wear you out before you get started.

Sounds like you need one of those machines with the circular cutting blade(s) on the front.

Maybe you could rent one of these, then if you keep it mowed afterwords, you could control it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=137eG27Z-jI
EatenByLimestone said:

Once you cut it back, thick black plastic on the ground might keep the spreading down. Or, maybe your neighbor is thinking of cutting down the stand and a lot of black plastic or herbicide can be put down.

I read the OP as asking how to deal with stuff which is growing on his neighbors property, but hanging over onto his property.

I think this is what he needs:

web page
A Squared said:

[blockquote]EatenByLimestone said:

I read the OP as asking how to deal with stuff which is growing on his neighbors property, but hanging over onto his property.

I think this is what he needs:

web page

[/blockquote]

You do know that is a ridiculous suggestion?

I doubt he knows how to fly a helicopter.

I doubt it. It will come up through pavement and concrete block (I've seen both, in one case it was growing up through a garage floor). Google what it takes to control bamboo in a garden, its unbelievable.
daddo said:

You do know that is a ridiculous suggestion?

I doubt he knows how to fly a helicopter.

Well, if he's serious about getting the bamboo under control, he'll take lessons.