Double sided tape fail, how to do this?
LOML wants a lid that seals for a large cup she has. I thought I'd turn one but don't have any wood thick enough for what I'm trying to do. I got a piece of scrap and turned it with a dovetail end to fit into my chuck with the plan to use double sided tape to hold the piece I wanted to turn. I even got some "special" tape from Rockler especially made for this. Both that and my normal DS tape failed. The Rockler stuff (read POS) is about as sticky as a post-it note.

So, bottom line. HOW DO I DO THIS? I've got a piece of wood ~1" thick that I will rough cut round on my BS. I need to mount it onto the lathe without marking either side. The only thing I can think of is to clue it to the scrap piece I've made for the chuck and then parting it off.

Thanks.

Steve
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Double sided tape, even good stuff is still tape. It helps to leave it clamped up for a few minutes, or longer if you have time. Bring up the tail stock and take light cuts. If you don't want to mark the wood with the tail stock point or ring, put a spacer piece of wood (small scrap) between the tail stock and work piece.
I was using light cuts, but the piece still flew off. I hadn't thought of a second block of wood to protect it. I'd brought the tailstock up with a blunt end instead of a point to help keep it from flying off. I'll add that plus clamp the tape up for a little while before I turn it.

Thanks.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Glue block to turn the inside/underneath part, with a mortise for reversal. If you don't like the decorated mortise, turn a cabuchon-like piece out of contrasting wood to fill it.

For a seal, a groove with an O ring is my choice.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I think you've already gotten good advice from Chuck but here's another suggestion. I have had good success with double stick tape using it in combination with a jamb chuck. The recess doesn't have to be very deep at all it will help the tape do its job.
Steve K

As I recall that double sided tape is pressure sensitive so clamping it up for a few minutes should help. In addition to the above advise you could modify your cuts so the pressure is toward the headstock rather than perpendicular.

Doug
I buy the double sided turners tape from Lee Valley and have had good success. Like was said use a scrap piece of wood and apply some pressure with the tail stock.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
MichaelMouse said:

Glue block to turn the inside/underneath part, with a mortise for reversal. If you don't like the decorated mortise, turn a cabuchon-like piece out of contrasting wood to fill it.

For a seal, a groove with an O ring is my choice.

MM beat me to it.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
If you have a problem with something, avoid it. My motto. Sounds cowardly, but I'd rather switch than fight.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I think tail stock contact is pretty important for using this type of tape. Also, having the correct amount of contact surface. 8 inch diameter, I would want at least 4 inches of contact. Hot melt glue can also work, but you might need a knife to remove it.

robo hippy