Finish questions for bottle stoppers
I want to turn some wooden stoppers and am interested in using CA on them. I'm well versed in it, having turned many wooden pens with a CA finish.

How's the durability? I'm referring to incidents of crazing, particularly.

I also have wipe-on poly, but it's incredibly slow, compared to CA, especially in a production setting. Any tips or advice there?
Semper fi,
Brad

No problem on using it just not lots of coats maybe 3 or 4 with sanding after 2 and 4 to make it smooth.

That is how I did it but I am sure others know other ways.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
If you are doing production go with the CA. I have used it with no issues, 4-5 coats. It is my experience that most of the people who buy them never use them or if they do it is on rare occasions when they have special company visiting.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I use spray lacquer. Fast, easy, durable.

Doug
I use General Finishes "High Performance" primarily because its my go-to top coat finish. It dries within 1 1/2 hours, has great flattener resulting in NO bubbles and its very durable. I mount a stopper on a dowell so I can twrill it around with my thumb and forefinger while applying 3 light coats with a 1" foam brush. I use a 2500 grit pad to remove rough spots between coats.

I turn and sell stoppers as a hobby. The ultimate finish in terms of durability, look/feel, and ease of application remains a mystery. I started with Shellawax which is applied with the stopper on the lathe. Easy, quick, won't chip/peel, has an ultra soft fell, and beautiful luster. Problem is that the luster dulls after 3 weeks. Tried spray
Shellac. Didn't like it at all.

I've never tried CA. Is it applied while the piece is spinning on the lathe? What consistancey of CA do you use -- Thin-Med etc?

Dave
Dave--

I use medium viscosity. I apply it while spinning at the lowest speed on my VS Jet mini. I wish I could get it slower, but I can't.

A couple of drops on a folded strip of paper towel, then spritz it with accelerator. Careful of sharp ridges on the piece--the CA can collect there and then "bubble" when the accelerator is applied.
Semper fi,
Brad

Thanks Brad. I have the same lathe. Gonna try it.

Dave

Brad
have you tried dipping them in polly or lacquer. one dip in oil polly and hang them up. usually leaves a thick coat and after 5-10 minutes I dab off the final drip
the bottle stopper shaped work great for dipping as does bottle openers, especially when doing a bunch at a time.
Thats how I did these, I did about 30 of them. didn't take long
CA would be a better more durable finish. just takes longer.
just be careful with the CA, bad for your health and can start fires

Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop