Case Miter Shooting Board
I'm going to be building a series of boxes or cases from 1X hardwood,
about 4 inches in height with miter joints. I want to create the miters with a shooting board and LA block plane.

Does anyone know of a good plan/design for such a jig? The only thing
I can find are jigs for frame miters.

Thanks, Brian
What you want is a donkeys ear. You can make a dedicated one or add a attachment on to your standard shooting board. There are lots of different designs. If you will have a molded edge you will want both a left and right jig so you are always shooting into the moulding otherwide you will blow it out on the backside. Google will give you lots of ideas. Here is a good pdf from Pop Woodworking to get you started.

HTH
Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
Here's a 45 degree shooting board (donkey's ear) I have on my "to do when I have time" list. I can't take credit for the design, but it's the nicest one of this type I've seen. If this belongs to anyone here, I'd appreciate any comments you care to offer about it.

Thanks for the link Jonathan, the donkey ear looks like it may work well. I'll check my back issues for the article.
The picture Hank provided also looks like a good design if anyone know where it originated from. I'm assuming these shooting boards can be used with any type of hand plane ?
Do you have a larger bench plane? I would not be trying to plane mitres on 8 edges with a block plane. I would saw or drawknife most of the waste from both edges of a longer blank, clean them up close with an angled fence on a bench plane and then crosscut the blank. Tweak the fit with your block plane freehand or use the jig.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Here's an article that details the version that Hank posted. Our own Derek Cohen has posted quite a bit too. If you want some drama about them, check here.
BC in CT said:

I'm going to be building a series of boxes or cases from 1X hardwood,
about 4 inches in height with miter joints. I want to create the miters with a shooting board and LA block plane.

Does anyone know of a good plan/design for such a jig? The only thing
I can find are jigs for frame miters.

Thanks, Brian

Brian, you want this article: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/B...Board.html

This ...

.. used with ..

.. creates ..

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I made one of these for a Hand Tool School lesson a few year back. The design has been around a long time but I think one of the earliest examples I found was from Charles Hayward. Regardless, its very effective and for wide miters my go to solution even more than the donkey's ear I have as well.
Thanks everyone, this certainly gives me a few good options.