Harbor Freight 60 gallon compressor vs...
I'm looking for a 60 or 80 gallon compressor with a minimum of 11.5 cfm @ 90psi.I'm using it for glass etching with a blast cabinet. Unfortunately budget, as ever, is an issue. So I'm looking at units from Husky, Kobalt, and Porter Cable. All of them seem to be the same Campbell Hausfeld machine with different paint. Mixed reviews - mostly complaints about quality control. The Ingersoll Rand units in the same range get much worse user reviews. Then despite my distaste for Harbor Freight machinery, they have a 2 stage machine that is reviewed no worse than anything else, but I can't find any comparison reviews or any reviews that are current. I'm also looking for used, but not finding anything worth while. Any advice would be appreciated.
Anthony

Disposable income? Is that what I pour into the house?
I have no knowledge of the HF compressors. Are they also made by CH? I've had a Kobalt upright 45gal (I needed it to be short enough to fit under my wood rack), and I've had no problems with it, and it performs well.
Bob
I'm not sure who makes the HF. The others all look the same except for color and have identical specs. The most recent discussion I could find for the HF was from 2012, when the tank was USA made, the pump was from Mexico and the motor from China; all assembled in the USA. But I haven't found that information for the current version.
Anthony

The trick with the HF compressors is to pay the $19 for the extended warranty. So if it breaks, they give you a new one and then buy the extended warranty on that one. You can keep in compressors for a long time for just the cost of that warranty. And with the price difference, especially when on sale, it's very cost efficient.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
Of course the compressor is most likely to fail at 2am the night before a craftcraft show! I think I would replace it, needed or not. Of course then I run the risk of replacing a good unit with a dud...
Anthony

cpolubin said:

The trick with the HF compressors is to pay the $19 for the extended warranty. So if it breaks, they give you a new one and then buy the extended warranty on that one. You can keep in compressors for a long time for just the cost of that warranty. And with the price difference, especially when on sale, it's very cost efficient.

Cliff

Ditto to above...I know it's not apples to apples, but I bought one of their 3 gal pancake models for $34+ about 6 years ago to use with pin, brad, finish nailers. I like the portability versus dragging air hoses.

Anyway, it has worked flawlessly. I've used it with my framing nailer as well as roofing nailer (~20 sq). Sometimes have to wait a bit for it to catch up but it wasn't intended for those uses.

As for their 60 gal model, I have seen I/R's locally in farm stores lower in price than H-F's by ~$200. My neighbor has had good service from his 80 gal I/R.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
I have the Kobalt 60 gallon compressor with a 3.7 HP motor from Lowes. This meets your specs but I would recommend something larger-I am only a woodworking hobby person. The compressors at Lowes have pictures that show what they will do and what they won't do. From your profile it seems that the unit may be used in your business. There is a lot that the 60 does not do that a 90 will.
My 60 gallon unit requires 15.7 amps at 220 V,,,a 20 amp breaker is required. Their 90 gallon unit would need a 30 amp breaker if it makes any difference-the motor is larger.
You can always find something good used cheaper on Craig's List. It just means that you have to spend LOTS of time and would have to scoff it up as soon as it is listed.
Should you eventually upgrade a 90 would be easier to get a good price selling it rather than a 3.7 HP 60.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
I have owned the HF 60 gallon unit for about 6 years. It has performed flawlessly. My only gripe is that if I charge it and leave it for a week or so it loses much of the charge. However, since I noticed this and posted here I learned that leaving it charged like that is not a good idea. Since it comes to full charge quite rapidly it is not really an issue. I bought it back in the good old days when the 20% coupon applied to compressors.
HTH
Ken
Carolyn "Kscott & GDay, can I come sniff you?"
Timberwolf "You ARE WHO you eat"!!!!!!! "
Spokeshave "You're swallowing someone else's DNA right now."
From the research I did, the HF 60gal 2 stage may be considered one of their gems. It is assembled by the same company that makes the BelAire line of compressors - you can find them on AirCompressorsDirect.com . The compressor head is made by an Italian company. Not sure on the motor at this point. Some issues around the pressure switch, but the compressor mechanics seem to be solid.

I ended up purchasing a 2 stage compressor from a regional compressor manufacturer. Lower RPM (lower noise & temps) is one of key things that you want to look for. I found a regional manufacturer (google'd air compressors and my state) that had good products and service and a great price/free delivery.
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
I have the 60 gallon Kobalt for exactly your application. Glass etching isn't like real sandblasting in that you don't need a ton if pressure and most of my pieces are small. It doesn't take much to etch glass...unless of course you are doing a wall or some huge sculpture. I have this with HF cabinet I got off CL. I got the Kobalt b/c i had a good coupon.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11