Birdhouse
Earlier this summer the Mrs. and I went to visit the last remaining brother of my Dad's. He's 87 now and I really just wanted to spend time with him before I couldn't. Anyway before we left to come back home he asked if I was still into woodworking and offered me a piece of Walnut that was given to him by another brother(another fine craftsman!) some 30+ years earlier. It was a 4x4 that was left over from a bedroom set he had made for his wife. It didnt take long to get it in the car. Well I was trying to come up with something to make from part of it to send them as a thank you and this is what I settled on.

I never attempted a celtic knot before and my glue joints are not spot on but I think they will like it just the same.

Used Ash veneer for the knot, another piece of Walnut I had in the shop for the base, Cocobolo for the perch and brazing rod for the hanger.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Very nice indeed, looks to me like you did a fine job on that knot. I like the finish as well. I am sure they will love it.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Beautiful! Very nice work all around. Did you hollow from the top then add the roof as a separate piece?

Doug
very nice job the birdhouse grain looks more like mahogany
they will love it
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Yup started out with the body, hollowed with a forstner bit for most of it then turned the top after I parted of the body.

The wood in person has a more "milk chocolate" type color to it, I think the flash from the camera affected the look as well. I know it also depends how Walnut is dried, air vs kiln, as to how rich the color is.

I used Tru-Oil Gun Stock Finish for the finish.
First I would like to say that I am proud of you for going to see him and I know he loved having you.

The bird house is wonderfully done and I really like how you did the birds.

Where did you get them?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Very nice! Birdhouse ornaments are one of my favorite things to make this time of year.
Steve K

Arlin
You can get the birds at Craft Supply.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Thanks guys. These birds I picked up at Hobby Lobby.

We spent a week up there and had a ball. Saw a lot of family history including the farm where my Dad was born. Best part was the barn my Grandpa built 75 years ago was still in use!