Apple wood
Anyone know of a suitable source for apple wood. Just want to make some saw handles and maybe try it as a plane tote.
thanks
pat
what sizes? I might have
A local urban wood group has it and I occasionally get some from arborists or from orchards when they are culling but none of them will ship. Try for some in your area.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
pinky said:

what sizes? I might have

full 1 inch thick and then I'm open need at least 5 x 5 for a tote but anything longer is good too
pat
If Pinky doesn't have it try asking around to see if anyone still has contact information for a past member here by the handle of "Walnuts". For a while it seemed like he must have been cutting down an entire apple orchard. He shipped out a bunch of flat rate boxes for a year or two.
If you don't have any luck drop me a pm. I have some that has been drying for about a year and it's 5/4. I wouldn't mind sending out a flat rate box.
Any fruit growers around? Call around and ask about wood. They trim, and cull trees to plant new stock in the fall. As soon as it's dry enough most of them just burn it up.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Pat Zabrocki said:

Anyone know of a suitable source for apple wood. Just want to make some saw handles and maybe try it as a plane tote.
thanks
pat

Sounds like fun! I did plane totes in Apple one time. I actually sold this plane so I don't know how they held up over the last 5 years. But they were very pretty. I had a very small batch of apple planks where the workpieces almost always had sapwood. I think of apple as "super Cherry" .

Chris