Clear covering over paint?
My daughter is painting the tops to some wooden barstools we keep outside. She is painting with acrylics. They chairs are almost always put under cover when the night is over so very seldom direct sunlight or rain but still out doors

What is the best clear cover that will protect the paint so backsides dont rub it off and give it some weather protection.

I was thinking epoxy but Im told it will yellow

Thoughts?

Thanks

Robert
I wouldn't put anything over it. Quality paint is as durable as clear coat. I would just repaint it when it's worn through. You'd be doing the same thing when the clear coat wears through and it might peel at that point, too, creating an even bigger problem.

John
John has a point. But if those are artists acrylics they will be brilliant, but not as durable and any acrylic will need UV protection. Besides the rest of the stool is not protected. I'd test GF450 to see if it was compatible with the paint and if it is¹ then put on ~5 coats. That should last a long time (it lasts ~7 years in direct sun at 9500'). When it starts cracking and flaking use a pressure washer [low pressure ~1,000 lbs] to get any decayed finish off then just ad a couple coats of 450. Do the entire stool and not just the seat; otherwise you will have grayed legs and a shinny new looking seat.

¹ If not seal the seat with a 1# cut of shellac (one coat).
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
>>>> I was thinking epoxy but Im told it will yellow

Epoxy is not a good idea. In addition to yellowing, it will rapidly deteriorate when exposed to the UV in sunlight. It will get cloudy then begin to crack and peel.
Howie.........
I made a "play" iron and ironing board as a gift to a child. I painted it with decorations and then topcoated it with waterbased poly which is water clear when applied. It was not an exterior finish, so you have that issue to consider. Oil based spar varnish is exterior, but shifts the color because of its amber tint.

The clear coat certainly enhanced the durability of the ironing board.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Perhaps a clear, exterior paint base?
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I would suggest to coat it with a high quality spar varnish like Epifanes.

Jamestown Distributors
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.